Artist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never worked with acrylics before this painting. An art teacher knew that and had me bring a black and white photo. He gave me a timed period and the materials. I had to paint the photo in black and white acrylic. He accepted me into class.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That looks great! I'll do that with my drawings, too, use a black and white photo as it's easier to determine how dark or light to go. I never would have thought that was your first attempt at acrylic!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I could find the pencil I drew for entry. This guy was tough and in the end he didn't teach me a lot that I didn't know. He only formalized it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is good, I too have a really hard time seeing, even with magnifying glasses on it's still hard for me to see. Last year I discovered that I can paint in oil, and this year I discovered that I can draw in charcoal, so I decided to have fun with my Art, So now I will try to post one or two of my charcoal sketches for you folks to critique.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh man I love seeing original photographs and then comparing them to the artist's representations. I'm so glad you shared this with us.Ths is amazing to me. This is excellent. The bear, especially, just slays me. It is PERFECT. As well as those sweet litte chubby baby hands. So very well done!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man I love seeing original photographs and then comparing them to the artist's representations. I'm so glad you shared this with us.Ths is amazing to me. This is excellent. The bear, especially, just slays me. It is PERFECT. As well as those sweet litte chubby baby hands. So very well done!
Thank you. I did that when I was 18. The fact that there was a time limit kept me from doing better. I think that this was far from perfect. My mother raved about it too so I gave it to her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ha ha! We moms are all the same, huh? It is funny how critical we are of our own work. So quick to see the flaws, and such trouble recognizing beauty where others see it. It really doesn't matter what your medium is- we all do it. Such is art!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it looks good its a little ruff but for a first it looks pretty good
Yes it is choppy. I didn't blend my strokes and the picture was not captured acurately. I have painted with accryllics a few other times. I have never felt really comfortable with them. Just let me have a number 2 pencil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's pretty good. The key to acrylic paintings is time. If you don't like something paint over it until it's perfect or until you are just sick of looking at it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts