Artist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This blog is where I will post landscapes of Western scenes. This one took 11 hrs, which beats my previous longest, the saddle, 5 hrs. I tried to work on light emphasis as well as style consistency. On 14 x 17. 60 lb sketch paper, this is "Valley Falls".

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, Don, that's beautiful! Love the purple and green together.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Don - I absolutely positively LOVE this landscape. The colors are perfect and the extra time you took really shows through.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you PencilMeIn and Chanda! I had to keep telling myself I wasn't finished to get the added detail work. I had to think about putting that kind of green with purple, but in the end just went with it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to do a bit of research to see if this is a landscape, supposably it is. Another study in subtle lighting, this is "Taos courtyard, Late Afternoon". 8 hrs. (I'm trying) :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A Break in the Stillness.

:) thanks! This one is a custom painting for my son, a memory from an Alaskan fishing trip we took together.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked up a new technique today that makes for more realistic clouds and snow, so this scene was created to test it out. "After a Heavy Snow".

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks Chanda! I feel at home doing landscapes. So much to learn yet. As to the colors I use, I really don't have a clue as to what is correct, it just use what seems right for each painting.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
New Mexico

Having been raised in New Mexico, I'm finding inspiration and influence from the architechture, landscape, people, artistic traditions. These two paintings reflect that.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Local scenes, here is "Moving the Herd" 4 x 12.
and "Moving the Herd II" 14 x 17.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
These last two really click with me...I like them. You have gotten really, really good with the clouds too.

I was wanting to draw some pictures of some of our brandings - just havent got there yet. Western pictures are always big sellers here.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thank you Chanda for noticing the clouds! A lot of time and effort has gone into learning clouds. You should do ranch scenes. The best subject is the one you see.
I took a bold step. I loaded up my best work and heased on a trip to a neighboring city, visiting gift shops, antique malls, art galleries, museums, and any other place that looks promising. I have met some amazing artists, made many friends, learned more than my mind can comprehend in one day and have had all kinds of results. Some of my work is now hanging in all of the aformentioned venue types. While I'm obiously not ready to show in a major gallery, the owner of the best gallery here has given me priceless advice, put many of my works in her cooperative gallery, and wants to keep a close watch on my progress. Also a fantastic artist, she gave me an impromptu. coaching on the relative natural spacial relationships of the horse and of the human face. Also on many pastel techniques I didn't know. Its all up to me now. I saw works that blew my mind. She pointed out that I could get there if I put the work in, have the vision for innovation, and don't accept a level less than where I believe I can go. So, the only factor in question is me. I'm rather confident in that one. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Incorporating some of what I've learned, here is. "Tree Light".
and "Tree Light II".

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Wow Don. Did you have a productive day or what??? AWESOME! Neat that you met so many helpful and friendly people. There is only one gallery in town and they charge a 25% commission for every piece you sell. It's good to get your name out there but that's a huge chunk of change when you think about it. I am hoping to maybe (someday) market at some of the local arts and crafts fairs and to create a web-page. I have to get more pieces created before I can do that though. I am such a cheapskate. It's hard for me to give somebody else that much of a commission...I know it's standard practice but still.

VERY neat that you were able to get some of your artwork put up in a gallery. I do hope they sell quickly!

Your latest pieces are very nice, particularly the last one. One of my favorite sights is to see light streaming through the trees - it's very, very peaceful. I am anxious to see what you create now that you have gotten a few additional pointers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Chanda! Well, here goes, hopefully the added work shows. In honor of the state in which I've lived the longest, this is "Reflections of the Alamo" 8 x 10 on 140 lb Bristol mounted on foamboard, 17 layers Pastel.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I like it a lot Don. I notice with this one that the paper doesn't show through the piece like some of your others. The added work DOES show!! NICE!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm in love with your pastel work! Congrats on the gallery, too, how exciting!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts