Artist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is my first time using watercolor pencils (or even colored pencils for that matter) and I have no idea what I'm doing so I'll take any advice I can get. :)

Here's my plan. I started out graphing my ref. photo and paper (Canson watercolor paper) and just outlined the cub very lightly with an h2 pencil. I did more detail with this pencil than I normally do because I wanted the gray of the pencil to show through...I think. Like I said, I've never done this before, lol! Then, I'm going to layer the colors from lightest to darkest. Now, supposedly you just go over areas with a wet brush and voila, it's becomes a painting. Well, I'm thinking of using a slightly damp q-tip because I don't want to lose many fur lines.

Anyway, here's the reference photo:
Horse Liver Sorrel Fawn Terrestrial animal

The next three are just drawing the base. It's pretty light, hope you can see it.
Brown Wood Art Rectangle Drawing

Felidae Carnivore Grey Rectangle Wood

Carnivore Felidae Wood Grey Art

Here I've started the color. I think I'm going to color the whole cub before adding any water, though. If anyone has any other ideas as to where I should go from here feel free to jump in. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Then you should post some that you've done. Maybe I'll learn something. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here it is all filled in with color:
Lion Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Carnivore Big cats

And here I've started adding water. You can tell where I've done it, left side of face including ear and eye and the forehead. My idea of using a q-tip didn't work. I tried it out on a practice sheet and it turned the pencil marks to mud. So I found an old, slightly stiff paintbrush and that worked well.

Felidae Carnivore Lion Small to medium-sized cats Big cats

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finished! Once I had him done I thought a blurred background would look nice, but now I'm wishing I left it alone. Oh well, it'll still go in the fair.

Felidae Carnivore Lion Big cats Painting

Felidae Lion Carnivore Big cats Organism

·
Registered
30 Posts
I saw this piece on horse forum (hey 3neighs ;)) It's awesome! I said in another thread that I'm not much of a painter so I respect those that are. I did a couple watercolors my last year in high school and haven't messed with it since.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks midwestgirl89! ;) Well, I'm not into the traditional watercolor paints either, but these pencils were really fun to work with because essentially, I was still drawing. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I may have to get a set and give them a try. I'm at a spot right now where I'd like to get into various mediums for my artwork. My latest idea is to continue painting saw blades, but the round ones instead of the really long ones. A friend of mine sharpens saw blades for a living and he has a neverending supply of the round ones just laying around that won't ever be used. So we'll see!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That would be a great venture to try! Years ago I stumbled upon a book by Lin Wellford, The Art of Painting Animals on Rocks, and gave it a go. I was actually pretty successful, but got tired of looking for rocks all the time. :lol: Plus, I just got bored with painting and went back to drawing.

Well, make sure you post your saw blades on here for us to see. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They were a lot of fun to work with. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! It actually won second place. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts