Artist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first watercolor I've ever shown. Painted from memory, this is "Sunrise in the Wasatch". 11 x 15.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Could be a sunrise/or sunset here as well. Nice! Watercolor is tough. The only thing I might have done a little different is blend the clouds that are right over the mountain just a smidge more - other than that it's such a vibrant piece and the color choices are fantastic. I should probably break out the watercolors again...one of these days.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chanda!I got to looking at it and saw that you are right. So much to learn in this medium. I revamped the painting to this:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using one of those kid's watercolor sets. My first experience at blending colors is interesting. Each one of these paintings I did today was a test of a new skill. "Water under the Bridge".
. "Mare in the Mist".
. "Window in the Snow".
. "Twilight Lake".
. "Mirror Lake"
. "Sunset Lake".

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Twilight lake is my favorite. Amazing that you are doing these with kids watercolors!! I have a decent set of watercolors - cost me a pretty penny but nice colors and easy to work with....when I choose to work with them that is.:D Mirror Lake reminds me of Moose antlers - sorry - my mind sees things like that. Window in the Snow reminds me of the lava tubes we have around here.

I like the way you just tackle any medium without fear or reservation. Best way to learn and learn quickly!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I like the way you just tackle any medium without fear or reservation.
I agree! Great job, Don! My favorite is Mare in the Mist. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Lol. Moose antlers. Now that you mention it. Yeah. Subliminal advertising for the Moose Jaw Saskatchewan chamber of commerce. The Twilight Lake started as a cloud experiment in which I discovered an easy way to work clouds. Watercolor work seems to have its set of skills that makes it a fun and very quick medium. I actually broke my one day record by doing 12 yesterday.
Chanda, at my. age, one has no time to waste, so much left to do! I'm giving myself the opportunity to find whatever medium best suits my style.
My little set is just about out of cobalt blue and black, but there are a few paintings left.
Here is a 16 x 20 of a view from Panorama Point in Sequolla National Park: "Foggy Morning".

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Wait until you get a big fancy set of watercolors Don! I like this one the best. Its very pretty from what I can see on my tiny cell phone screen. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We must have posted at the same time, PencilMeIn. Thanks! I'm. Partial to "mare in the mist too". That last one of Sequolla Natnl. Park had a test for doing fog. I came up with a technique of lifting paint off the paper. I really appreciate both of your complements and comments!
I have an extensive collection of photos from my travels, they are indeed coming in handy. Not sure if this was from New Mexico or Utah, I call it "Butte Mesa" 11 x 14.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Have you ever been to El Morro Don? Its about 30 miles or so from me and your picture has a striking resemblance to it. You improve with each picture!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sure should have. I'm just glad I took them. I can tell by the context of the pics before and after it that it was on the old Devils hwy rte 666, now 491 somewhere between Gallup and Cortez Co. Most likely in the area south of Shiprock. Last time I saw El Morro was on a HS trip. We are talking prehistoric times there! So I will leave El Morro for you to paint. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now for some plein air work. Finally a day without howling winds. This is possibly the oldest tree on my place, about 350 yrs old, a Juniper. 11 x 15.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow
I love your latest "Butte Mesa" fantastic, 12 in a day that is amazing, wish I could paint that fast with such great results. definately keep it up

Jo

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, Peach! I've slowed down considerably since posting that.
Here is my first watercolor in a while, "Abandoned" 11 x 16. No explaination for why I did this, I just stared at the blank paper and this developed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you, Raquel! With your talent and style, you could pick up watercolors in no time.

From my years as a farmer, this is "Racing the Storm"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.