Artist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to use MDF with a good undercoat to paint on. I use a rough emery to scratch the surface and give good teeth. I use a good quality house paint flat wall or ceiling in a neutral colour.

I am going through some photos that have good memories for me. The latest painting of the Car Ferry we put our small van on to go to Tasmania. I took the photo the week before we left as it went under the harbor Bridge.

I used a projector to adjust the outline to my canvas and a 6" x 4" to see the colours. Some say this is cheating but it still has to be painted, the colours mixed and the detail put in. I still have some detail to add but want to wait until it is really dry before adding the last layer. I have found that way if I stuff something up I can remove it with a damp sponge without effecting the layer beneath. Another reason why I like Acrylics.

I am striving to get my pictures as real as possible. I shall fail but come close to what satisfys me.

I am moving to MDF as I plan a large Mural style and to that end I have bought an Overhead Projector and some large Brushes. I also plan to practice with a couple of Airbrushes I got on Ebay.

I am now the Vice President of our local Art Society so that gets me more involved. I also program and am working on my new website to sell my programs. When I have finished I shall create a website to showcase my paintings.

Soon I shall try my hand at Pen and Ink with a Water Colour wash. I do not use Oils at the moment
Terry

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm not familiar with MDF. Do you coat it with Gesso before painting? Perhaps we call it something else here. As to projectors, not my style, but I do a bit of scale adjusted measuring from time to time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MDF is a compressed board slightly denser than Masonite if you know that product. I use 3mm thick, thicker is available but 3mm suits canvases up to 60x60cm the size I usually go for. I used to use Gesso but now I use good quality flat Acrylic paint(House) I sand the surface. I am into technology and even have an overhead projector for larger canvases for when I venture into that area.

Modern Art Acrylics will outlast Oils by 100's of years. The do not crack. Can be affected by UV rays though

I am not a purist and am accused by some in our Society of cheating but even the Masters used a camera obscura which was a type of projector

1 - 3 of 3 Posts