Artist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been recently working exclusively with pallet knives in paintings. Here are some recent results.
Midnight Pinon

Carizzo Creek

Rabbit Ear Mountain Midnight

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Carizzo Creek is my favorite Don! It just seems to leap out of the page. Using the knife brings a 3 dimensionality to your paintings. NICE.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don, those are beautiful. My favorite is either Rabbit Ear Mountain or Midnight Pinon. But I think you stumbled on to something. Like Chanda mentioned, there is depth and artistic qualities there. They really look professional, very cool!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you Chanda and Sean! Your encouragement is priceless. Knife painting is at the same time invigorating and frustrating. Control is challenging, but the results are worth the effort. Inspiration came from three knife artists in the gallery I'm in.
Some of the works have been utter failures. Here is onr I did tonight, an amalgamation of four photographs taken this summer near Taos.
This is "The Winds of the Sangre de Christos" 11 x 14 on art board.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Knife painting takes about the same time as other techniques. Usually a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
That's awesome. I can't get over how three dimensional they are. Every time I think you have found your niche you get involved in a new technique...these are really lovely. I keep going back to the ponderosa piece. It is really special.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am really enjoying this style of yours. You are really getting good results with this technique. The 3D effect is stunning. Very vibrant. As they say here Mooi man.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks , Mike! This new direction feels good.
I finally added some needed highlighting to "Winds of the Sangre De Christo's"

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The last picture was taken in the wrong light... Once more. "Sunset at the Lake"

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Gosh Don. You have been busy! I really really like a Secret Place and the changes you did to Winds of Sangro De Christo's. Really nice!!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Loving the texture in these! Especially in the earlier posts. That seascape is really something different and your trees are beautiful as always. Loving those sunsets too. You're taking acrylics and working them to look like oils. Granted, I've been accused of the same, but because of my blending, not necessarily texture.

Have you tried doing this with actual oils? I've recently made the transition and... erm... let's just say it's a forced transition for me.
... Though something tells me with your ability to work with the challenging controls of a pallet knife, you'd probably adjust to it well, or at least produce something interesting in the process. My (biggest) gripe is that they're a bit too pricey for me to just experiment with on my less-than-sweatshop wages.

Food for thought. :) Keep it up though! Your work just keeps getting more and more interesting.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thank you Chanda! I appreciate the comments, WatercolorStain! I gave oils a try. Its posted in the Lone Tree thead in oils.
These three paintings are from photos in my travelling years
This "Aspen Glow"

"Wasatch Crest"

"Sleeping Giant" (Mt St Helens)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don, I just fell in love with this. I guess the colors took me first, then the trees and then the mountain. I did not read the title, "Sleeping Giant" until I looked at it for the third time. After I read your title I felt a little different, almost sad for the forest and it took my visual pleasure of those colors away.
Beautiful artwork. You make me think, which is a good thing, I think.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts