Artist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about how @WFMartin does his fantastic paintings, I'm trying the old fashion method of doing an imprimatur, grisaille, and then glazing. Don't feel bad if you don't know what these steps are because I didn't either before reading Bill's write-up. If you knew what these steps are then you are way ahead of my level of painting.

My imprimatur (a thin layer of oil paint) was applied on a smooth canvas made that way by putting layers of Gesso and sanding between layers. My imprimatur was Titanium white with just a tad bit of Raw Umber for a very light coffee appearance. After that dried I applied a second layer of imprimatur (don't know if that's what it would be called since it is the second) of Titanium white, Ivory black to make a light gray and a tiny bit of violet for a tint.

After that dried I started the Grisaille (the gray values representation of the subjects of the painting). This is what I have so far. I have lot more to do. Just thought I'd share the process I'm doing with you guys. This canvas is 24 x 30 inches. (61 x 76 cm). That's a biggie for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I put a second coat of paint on the Grisaille and added the background.

Still have a very long way to go on this painting.

I'm thinking I might do the leaves and stems the regular way but haven't decided yet.

Trying to decide on the color I'm going to make the roses. I'm leaning toward pink right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm cheating; I decided to do the direct method for the leaves and stems. I'll be putting two more layers on the leaves.

I had a big problem with the opening bud on the bottom right. I saw where it was a little messed up and in the process of fixing it I managed to gouge an indentation in the paint which I had to kind of putty with paint to plug the hole. Grrrr. I have another picture that this happened to and didn't fix it well and it is very noticeable. Hope that doesn't happen with this one.

I've decided on light yellow for the roses.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have no clue what you are talking about @TerryCurley, when u get into oil painting speak, I just know I like the results.

Whatever u are doing here I absolutely LOVE. If this one isn't spoken for, I want it. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
LeighAnn wait until it's done to make a decision like that, I have no idea how this painting will turn out. There is a problem too in that this would cost a fortune to mail. It is 24x30. The largest one I ever shipped was 18x24 and that went to someone here in Arkansas and just the postage was $17.80 and this one would probably be a lot more. Big ones like this I either keep or put it for sale at the Flea Market if it's not something I want to keep.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great. I promise I won't let anyone else buy it until after you decide. It would be really fun to meet you. Do you know the restaurant El Acapulco right off Exit 125 on I40? That's my favorite place to eat in Conway (inexpensive and really good food). Perhaps we could do lunch or something.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's really easy to find. You will be traveling southeast on I40 so you would get out exit 125. Make a left and go under the hwy overpass and it will be right on your right just pass the gas station. This will be fun.

BTW I didn't have time to work on the picture yesterday but I expect to make good progress today.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wanted to share this.

I think this is so cool how this works. Bill told me to use the Grisaille as a road map for values, so that is what I attempted to do. I covered the gray with color according to the value of the gray, kind of like doing a paint by numbers. Then I took a blending brush and blended the whole thing. This is only one layer and I will definitely be doing another layer on top after it dries (which will be at least two days). I may even do a total of three layers of color, not sure yet.

The pictures were taken very close up so that's why you see all the distinct brush marks. When looking at it normally they aren't visible.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should probably do another layer on top after it dries, maybe even do a total of three layers of color, just to be sure.

:vs_smirk::vs_smirk::vs_smirk::vs_smirk::vs_smirk:

Coming along nice Terry.
So is this post just toying with me or did you really not read my narrative Dick?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts