Artist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Watercolor and colored pencil
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently AI can make art now. I am honestly not pleased about this, because art is so hard to make! The poeple who like technology try to get involved with what we love so that they can do whatever they want. This will be very bad for people who do product designs, book covers ect. Because when this intelligence becomes more widespread and available, people are going to obviously go with the faster, cheaper choice. Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts on this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure it will be a problem. We can make diamonds too which are more pure than natural diamonds, but the natural diamonds are still far more expensive.
In thailand I saw an elephant paint a picture of a house in a garden with the sun shining. It was amazing to see. It was of the standard a 5 year old would do. I think this would be more of a threat if all elephants started to paint pictures because they would literally sell them for peanuts

·
Registered
Abstract acrylic and oil painting
59 Posts
Nothing is permanent and change is the only constant in life.

I believe AI technology is going to be the next big thing in our lives. It has been in the development stage for over a decade and I think it will take off in the next few years on a bigger scale. The sky is the limit for AI technology.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes but, the AI intelligence is only going to get better. Soon poeple some poeple are going to give up their art because they can use the AI technology. We all have a time in our lives when we feel like giving up on our art because it looks wonky. We wish we could just snap our fingers and have it done. AI would only get in the way of that. So that's means fewer artists in the future. The problem also is this, think of the average person looking for art they can buy. Sure it would be nice to have something hand printed, or a print. But they are very expensive. All you have to do is come to AI with a cheap price that can give you ANY painting you want. It wouldn't be very hard for that person to choose. AI shouldn't be messing with this stuff because this is what us artists do. Not them. It might not be a problem, but if there is a chance there will be, then why take it? Because there is a chance this will be a problem

·
Registered
81 Posts
Whn you say AI do you mean AI producing digital art and then printed copies being made? If so a printed copy will always be distinguishable from a hand painted original, especially in thicker mediums such as oils. If you mean a dedicated machine that can hold a paint brush and convert a digital image into an actual painting then I dont think that will be practical for some time. I think the technology is there but initially such paintings will be more expensive than human painted ones.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whn you say AI do you mean AI producing digital art and then printed copies being made? If so a printed copy will always be distinguishable from a hand painted original, especially in thicker mediums such as oils. If you mean a dedicated machine that can hold a paint brush and convert a digital image into an actual painting then I dont think that will be practical for some time. I think the technology is there but initially such paintings will be more expensive than human painted ones.
The AI will be able to recreate texture in the future. I don't know if you've seen the videos of artists trying out AI art, but alot of the art actually looks like handmade art, or digital art! And what I mean by prints is that you type in the art you want and it gets sent to you as a print. Just like some artists do by taking pictures of their art sell it. Even though some of the art that A1 makes is not good, some of it is amazing and it's only going to get better. It's not an actual robot painting, it's just typing into the computer what you want, and it makes the art.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi! Really interesting topic. I remember a few months ago when i wanted to get into the art printing and digital commission field, tried to do a bit of research and stumbled on
Ai-Da(the robot)
and Dall-E( ai tech)
It was both shocking and amazing. On one end i felt really offended because these new technologies will make earning money through commissions really tough for artists but sadly this is the business, they have to develop ways to make money. It really helped me evaluate why i made art in the first place, i remembered when i was a little girl painting on my mom's walls, i loved the look and feel of multi coloured soft pastels on my fingers, clothes and that funny noise the pencil makes when it slides across paper. Art is fun for me.
So maybe try to look at things from a different perspective, if you're trying to make money from your art then your goal should be to provide the best product to satisfy your customers needs and find something that helps you stand out. Im a software engineer and from what I've seen there's a lot of tech out there and others emerging that will put many people out of jobs, so its a good idea to add a few more skills to your repertoire and wherever you can, make the tech work for you and not against you.
Sorry for the long post:censored:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi! Really interesting topic. I remember a few months ago when i wanted to get into the art printing and digital commission field, tried to do a bit of research and stumbled on
Ai-Da(the robot)
and Dall-E( ai tech)
It was both shocking and amazing. On one end i felt really offended because these new technologies will make earning money through commissions really tough for artists but sadly this is the business, they have to develop ways to make money. It really helped me evaluate why i made art in the first place, i remembered when i was a little girl painting on my mom's walls, i loved the look and feel of multi coloured soft pastels on my fingers, clothes and that funny noise the pencil makes when it slides across paper. Art is fun for me.
So maybe try to look at things from a different perspective, if you're trying to make money from your art then your goal should be to provide the best product to satisfy your customers needs and find something that helps you stand out. Im a software engineer and from what I've seen there's a lot of tech out there and others emerging that will put many people out of jobs, so its a good idea to add a few more skills to your repertoire and wherever you can, make the tech work for you and not against you.
Sorry for the long post:censored:
Don't be sorry at all! I found it extremely useful, because you helped me be aware so I can prepare for the future!

·
Registered
I paint mainly in oils and acrylics, but use a load of other mediums when I feel like it.
16 Posts
The AI art is based on images scraped from the internet, albeit a rather large database, but there could be some legal copyright ramifications that might be raised. Just because AI produced it, doesn't mean it's actually original. Anyone who relies on it, might find themselves in dangerous waters.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When it comes to Ai and art ...

I find each comment to be right on point - within it's own sphere of thinking.

Yet - even though music sharing wiped the old music business model - more musicians are today in control of their own music.
Barring covid ... it has brought 'touring' back in vogue.

As Amazon upended the old publishing book business - today more indie book stores are opening up - because people
have rediscoverd reading books - and they don't like reading books on computers (big or small).

I believe the artistic spirit will find a way to do an end-run around Ai, if not out of necessity - simply because artists who
have the drive to sell - will simply find another way to sell art. Some may even adopt the new technology into their business model.

Of course some parts of the art world will use Ai - because yes - it is cheaper and faster. But that has always been the
march of history in all walks of life.

The camera did not put fine art out business. TV did not put radio out of business. Ai won't put 'art' out of business.
It will skewer some parts of the art world ... but it won't skewer art.

Artists who have always painted for fun or hobby won't change their ways. They were never in it for the money anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Janique says - "AI shouldn't be messing with this stuff because this is what us artists do."

Jules Pew says - "The AI art is based on images scraped from the internet, albeit a rather large database, but there could be some legal copyright ramifications that might be raised. Just because AI produced it, doesn't mean it's actually original. Anyone who relies on it, might find themselves in dangerous waters."

My father - a boxing coach - used to tell me - everyday ... "You've got to roll with the punches. And don't forget to 'stick and move.'
Which brings me to Ai, today's artist and the prior observations ...
as artists get over Ai's punch to one's solar plexus (otherwise known as a body shot) ... there are always loopholes and opportunities - to wit ~

yes - there could be copyright issues if one solely relies on Ai to generate images via 'prompts'... (text to img) - which scrape the net of other's images.
But Ai also has the ability to take one's original work and re-work that - right before your eyes... in seconds. (img to img)
As an example - let me share a Thomas Kincade story ~

Kincade painted many themes. The one theme that took off was his little country cottages. People just could not get enough of them.
Over time Kincade reached a point where he detested those little country cottages - because they really taxed his imagination.

Suppose you - like Kincade has found a theme that your buying list wants over and over.
Ai to the rescue. Now you can take your original - run it through innumerable permutations with Ai - and paint your way to the bank.

The point I'm making is - the graphic artist and or illustrator may find Ai invading their turf rather quickly.
But the fine artist - one who is committed to making and selling original work, building a clientele, and selling new pieces to past buyers -
may find that Ai is a god-send when it comes to churning out new ideas - based on past best-selling original work.

Many artists may chafe at the idea of re-working past work. However - if one has a head for business - and one wants to paint for a living -
rather than working a job to support one's painting - then Ai just might be a timely tool to churning out new twists on an old original idea.

like so ... one of my original auto paintings -
Vehicle Automotive parking light Car Cloud Automotive lighting

and re-worked ...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Best regards ~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts