Artist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your comment, stonezephyr. I crave/fear input. I've been playing a lot of Borderlands2, and my style has been...influenced.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice colors...except maybe the use of the greens in the trees...nice balance between the upper and lower design. This is almost surreal/abstract...on my computer screen the yellows are shown up as yellow/green and the sky being more blue/Violette. So with that said, to make this piece a stronger piece, if you went with the sky being the color that it is now this piece could have more suitable with the ground color being an yellow orange.

Or the ground being the color that it is the sky being a red/violet...

Really don't think the tree works in the lower right of the piece but it does balance the existing moon...However I really like the look of a waterfall that is happening from the land.

Nice piece...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It almost has a watercolor effect - I like it a lot. I do agree with George on the tree - I think the overall impact could have been greater by leaving the tree out and maybe altering the colors a little bit... Overall though, for only your 5th painting and 1st landscape you did really well! Probably better than I would do to be honest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great painting, Killmaven! I agree on the bottom-right tree. To me, it just seems to pop out of no where, and feels a little lonely and lost compared to everything else in the painting. I wouldn't worry about the moon so much, though, as it's barely noticable. Some of the shadows on the rocks (mesas?) is that the one on the left has a shadow in the front...I can't tell if the moon is "behind" that, and it's an intended shadow, or if it was darkened for some other reason. But overall, I really like this painting (and yea, I can see the BL2 influence too, hah).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful remarks! (George, Chanda, Ken) This did translate a bit darker overall than it is IRL. I guess I was so worried about that moon that I never even considered the tree. It might have come off better if I made it more bare to intensify the lonely and isolated feel that Ken mentioned.
As for the "watercolor" effect, I was sort of experimenting with layering some medium/thin washes.
I'm definitely feeling good about this forum so far. It's nice to be able to get good critique without getting the pompous treatment one would usually expect on the internet. I think I will definitely continue on with this community. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's nice to be able to get good critique without getting the pompous treatment one would usually expect on the internet. I think I will definitely continue on with this community. :)
I agree! I was a bit afraid at first, but I figured..."hey...it's the internet, no one knows who I am and I don't have to take it face-to-face", :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really like the mesas - not too good at landscapes myself, so I admire your work. With the desert scene, I would perhaps expect to see a cactus, not a tree. I like the moon too, it adds character. Keep it up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts