Artist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi from Canada. I'm a new member and just looking at all the wonderful work on Artist Forum. Good luck with your watercolours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're doing great so far!
The composition of both paintings is well thought out and balanced.
You have not made the mistake many beginners do with over colouring / layering the watercolours leading to a muddiness of paint on paper.
The beauty of watercolours is their ethereal translucent nature and their ability to be worked with wet on wet/dry on dry/wet on dry paper etc.
Perhaps play a bit more with exploring detail and texture with the above mentioned techniques, especially in the sky/clouds, grass and trees.
I love how you rendered the mountains in the 2nd painting: beautiful use of colours and delicate overlay of paint; leaving the whiteness of paper showing - just lovely!
Keep going :)

·
Registered
Pastels, Oils and Water
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi from Canada. I'm a new member and just looking at all the wonderful work on Artist Forum. Good luck with your watercolours.
Thanks a lot, it really means a lot to me, as I am a novice painter.

·
Registered
Pastels, Oils and Water
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're doing great so far!
The composition of both paintings is well thought out and balanced.
You have not made the mistake many beginners do with over colouring / layering the watercolours leading to a muddiness of paint on paper.
The beauty of watercolours is their ethereal translucent nature and their ability to be worked with wet on wet/dry on dry/wet on dry paper etc.
Perhaps play a bit more with exploring detail and texture with the above mentioned techniques, especially in the sky/clouds, grass and trees.
I love how you rendered the mountains in the 2nd painting: beautiful use of colours and delicate overlay of paint; leaving the whiteness of paper showing - just lovely!
Keep going :)
Thanks liza for all the appreciation. I needed it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These are looking good!
be careful not to "overpaint" - keep the layers of watercolours very transparent as you go - then the painting will not look too muddy.
Also - a bit more texture and detail in the foreground/grass/boats etc will create interest and make the composition more convincing :)
I love the last one of the sunset - the colours are very atmospheric in the sky!

have fun!

·
Registered
Pastels, Oils and Water
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/HTML]
These are looking good!
be careful not to "overpaint" - keep the layers of watercolours very transparent as you go - then the painting will not look too muddy.
Also - a bit more texture and detail in the foreground/grass/boats etc will create interest and make the composition more convincing :)
I love the last one of the sunset - the colours are very atmospheric in the sky!

have fun!
Thanks lisa, I understand what you are saying. I am struggling with detailing and working on it, and also the overpainting. Water colors are too sensitive, aren't they?

·
Registered
16 Posts
l love both of these! You've kept the sky and water beautifully translucent, with some white paper showing through which is very effective.
Yes, watercolours are notoriously difficult paints to work with - unlike oils and acrylics, it is very difficult to rectify mistakes once you have laid the paint down. that's why I find working very lightly and delicately with them on good quality paper works best :)
As for detail - if you have a good quality fine brush this is good for grass, leaves etc. or a fan-shaped brush is also very useful, working dry on dry over large areas for grass-like effect. You can also use a small natural sea sponge, your finger tips, crumpled paper, twigs -- dry on wet....just experiment and play with different things, dipping them into a pan of a small amount of paint, and dabbing on wet or dry paper to see what happens!

·
Registered
Pastels, Oils and Water
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
l love both of these! You've kept the sky and water beautifully translucent, with some white paper showing through which is very effective.
Yes, watercolours are notoriously difficult paints to work with - unlike oils and acrylics, it is very difficult to rectify mistakes once you have laid the paint down. that's why I find working very lightly and delicately with them on good quality paper works best :)
As for detail - if you have a good quality fine brush this is good for grass, leaves etc. or a fan-shaped brush is also very useful, working dry on dry over large areas for grass-like effect. You can also use a small natural sea sponge, your finger tips, crumpled paper, twigs -- dry on wet....just experiment and play with different things, dipping them into a pan of a small amount of paint, and dabbing on wet or dry paper to see what happens!
Thanks lisa

I intend to pursue art as a profession. I have just started out, I started with my son's school oil pastels, then moved forward with soft ones. You can see some of my works in the pastel painting section.

Here is my first 'Tonalist' water color work. Very lose, limited colors and heavily impressionist. These are making sense from a little far.

Do let me know what you think.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
Pastels, Oils and Water
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These are wonderful! I love the Impressionistic quality :) The texture in the trees works so well, too...
Thanks Liza

I experimented with something new, Thanks for the comments.

Here are a few more. Mix of tonalism and impressionism.

Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
Pastels, Oils and Water
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
Pastels, Oils and Water
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·