Artist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand its called pen and ink, but can anyone suggest a pen I can start drawing with please, or maybe a simple set that will suffice please? Also how to people correct ink drawings for errors?

Thanks all. I'm open to any help as I'm new, never drawn before and am 68 years old.

Richard.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I personally really like both Micron and Staedtler. The latter sells a set of several pens of varying thicknesses, which looks like this.
Micron has plenty of sets available as well; and their stuff looks like this.

Regardless of what brand you go with, I think to start out a few different thicknesses and a brush pen should help you get on your way. Micron for one can get pretty pricey, but you really don't need to get super expensive to start out.
I personally like to apply washes to stuff I ink, and so for me it's important to buy pens that are waterproof, but if you don't plan to go over your ink drawings with, say, watercolor, it's not that important.

I don't really correct inking mistakes much myself since I use it mainly for rough, small sketches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sakura Pigma Professional Set

I have always loved Caligraphy brush pens. When used with Canson lay-out bond,they trip the line fantstic. I use these lovelies anytime I want the effect of paint but the simplicity of a pen. No mess, no brush loading, no clean up. Just pop the cap and lay brush to paper. This brand has it all
beginners won’t have to shy away from these drawing tools; these brush pens are easy to use and affordable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have always loved Caligraphy brush pens. When used with Canson lay-out bond,they trip the line fantstic. I use these lovelies anytime I want the effect of paint but the simplicity of a pen. No mess, no brush loading, no clean up. Just pop the cap and lay brush to paper. This brand has it all
beginners won’t have to shy away from these drawing tools; these brush pens are easy to use and affordable.
more detail: https://artltdmag.com/best-brush-pens-for-drawing/

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep a selection of pens for drawing. I often use a Uni Pin fine line pen 0.4 (which is waterproof), a Pentel brush pen and a fountain pen. I also, just like to use a biro. I think it's not really the pen as much, as just drawing.
If you are worried about mistakes, do a quick, light pencil drawing first. Otherwise, don't worry, just leave in your mistakes and work over them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want to use color pens then I can suggest you the Huhuhero Fineliner Color Pen Set. These pens are so good for beginners and quite budget friendly. But if you only want black set then you can go for Sakura Pigma Ink Pen Set, as I'm a blind lover of this set. I've done most of my artwork with this pen set on Inktober 2020.

Now, if I say about mistakes, then the best away to avoid it is to draw a quick sketch with pencil. Then use your pen and draw with care. Nothing to worry about mistakes. Normally ink artists do this and also they don't do frequent mistakes as they are professionals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts