Artist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum! Beautiful work! Is "smudging" a specific technique? What type of tools, paper do you use? I love your style and the fish are phenomenal, my favorite being the one titled "jags".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey! Thanks folks. It's graphite pencil on vellum bristol board. I like the bristol because you can get the ultimate detail and a silky smooth texture. It's a little more work but the results are awesome.

Smudging is just a term for smoothing out and spreading the pencil marks with a stomp. I just picked up the name "Smudge" from a friend of mine. haha.

-Nick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ooh....Ahh...I love your work...it's so soft. I have recently just started working on bristol paper myself and am absolutely in love as I am a "smudger" myself. I was just going to ask what you use to blend your drawings. I use such things as q-tips, cotton balls and these little blendy stump thingies, but I find that they somewhat dilute the darker tones, so I usually have to go back with a darker pencil (then I get the urge to blend again...lol). I'm still learning.

Anyway, I can't wait to see more of your work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks! Ya it's so much fun and every piece becomes a learning curve. I find with bristol paper you have to go over the same area several times, smudging and adding pencil, smudging and adding more pencil. I do this until I get the desired amount of laying, texture and the right shade.

I use erasers almost as much as I use my stomp and smudger. Especially for highlights and adding cool textures. Kneaded erasers, Staedler eraser pencils, and gum erasers are my weapons of choice. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.