Artist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There!
I'm an artist and I'm wanting to get myself better known in the artist community (yes another one! but who can blame us :D) and I was really hoping to get some of your advice...I've found a company which is offering to sell prints of my paintings (I need to supply a professional scan at a cost to me) then they are wanting full buy out rights of my paintings for 2 years. I would then get 50% of profits from any prints they sold. They also have an option to sell the original piece if the buyer and myself agree. I like this idea as I'm little known so I kind of feel like I've got nothing to loose at the moment as I think I have more chance of making some money from selling prints than originals. It's also a good opportunity to get myself 'out there'. Has anyone had any experience with these sorts of sites? Who are the good ones and how do you know if you're going to get a good deal? Help!:confused:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have not dealt with any of these sites. Personally I would be very, very cautious and really research it before jumping into it. A 50% commission for YOUR work is a rip-off in my opinion. Even our local gallery only takes a 25% commission and I have failed to jump into that because it is my work that I put a hundred percent of MY time into it. I understand these places need to make money and they are doing a service to you BUT I would not part with my pieces like that. 50% is entirely too big of a cut in my opinion.

Just use your best judgement but really do the research. Good luck! Would love to see some of your work!

·
Registered
670 Posts
They would take more than 50%. They would give back 50% of the profits only. They determine what's profit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
here in the UK we can loose 40% - 60% in a gallery, but that is interesting, on the 50% of profit, although, depends on the pricing, as they are doing the printing, i would look at the math, what is the pricing like? because even 25% of something is better than 100% of nothing, if this site enhances your visability and helps to gain a presence. But be cautious and check them out.

Hope my comments help - Jo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts