Artist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to sculpt crystals for later casting, what would you suggest I use as a sculpting material that would be sharp and clean like a natural crystal. Monster clay? Wax? Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
84 Posts
welcome to the forum, Asher - what part of the world are you in ?
what size and how many crystals do you want to make ? (some sample sketches, drawings or photos would help).
I think the size and quantity would sort of determine the product used for sculpting the patterns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the response! I tried uploading a reference photo but it wouldn’t allow it because of the extension. ??? I am in Florida, I intend on making a cluster like formation about the size of a drinking glass, perhaps 8”x 3”. To be used in making a mold. (Retaining the original sculpture is not necessary)

·
Administrator
84 Posts
thanks for the additional info:
crystals are limited only to your imagination. Carving Wax will give you very sharp edges. Super Sculpey takes a bit more "handling" to get the shapes right, but can be done. Of course there is wood, if you are a woodworker and have the various hand and power tools to make the shapes.
Whatever modeling clay you use, it must be "sulphur free". A lot of rubber molding materials will not cure when in contact with sulphur or latex.
what will the project be used for once it is molded and cast ?
are you going to make just one cast or several ?
here is just "one" example of making faux-crystals:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts