Artist Forum banner

Returning to art after decade + away

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  DLeeG 
#1 ·
I am a 50 year old male that hasn't done any drawings in years. The reasons are personal. I am now ready but reluctant to try again. One of the reasons for my reluctancy is I have Parkinson's. I have the tremors under control with medication, but I do not have the fine cordination that I used to.

Pencil drawing was my thing. Here are three that I did my senior year in high school.

See less See more
#4 ·
Outstanding work! I didn't keep any of my work from high school. Wish I did, because it would be nice to look back at them.

Did you do any recent pieces? Sorry to hear about your health. Hope you get it under cotrol with no progression.

#5 ·
13 years ago I went through more tragedy than I could handle. I destroyed all my works that I had and stopped drawing. Some things survived like these because others had them. These are in my best friend's pocession. He sent them to my email when I asked a few weeks ago. I found a picture of my niece that I had just started. It will never be finished. My mother has some of my childhood works. I am starting a picture of my kids but there is nat enough to show yet. This is my first work in years.

#6 ·
Why don't you show it anyway as a Work In Progress.

I did artwork for about 10 years after I graduated high school. Commisioned work and other items I kept or gave away as gifts. Then the authritis in my neck got so bad that I gave it up. I gave away all my art materials and supplies to my daughter-in-law who was an art student at the time.

Now 25 years later I picked it up again. I learned to live with the horrible crippling effects of my neck, not being able to move my head, and it causes severe migrains with nausia. But I deal with it by putting off work for a few days to nurse myself back to health. Then I get right back to it.

I'm glad to you are getting back into creating art also, you won't realize how much you miss it.

You never loose your talent just get a little rusty.

Don't give up, and please show us your WIP.

Karen

#8 ·
Why don't you show it anyway as a Work In Progress.

I did artwork for about 10 years after I graduated high school. Commisioned work and other items I kept or gave away as gifts. Then the authritis in my neck got so bad that I gave it up. I gave away all my art materials and supplies to my daughter-in-law who was an art student at the time.

Now 25 years later I picked it up again. I learned to live with the horrible crippling effects of my neck, not being able to move my head, and it causes severe migrains with nausia. But I deal with it by putting off work for a few days to nurse myself back to health. Then I get right back to it.

I'm glad to you are getting back into creating art also, you won't realize how much you miss it.

You never loose your talent just get a little rusty.

Don't give up, and please show us your WIP.

Karen
I sorry to hear that you have your troubles but I am glad that you can overcome them to create.

I just started and it moves slowly. I have to get it scanned onto a disk at walgreens. I want to complete some more first. Here is what I was working on 13 years ago. I will not complete this.

#7 ·
Starting off-welcome to the forum!
Your work is wonderful. I look back on some of the things I did in high school and cringe. The expressions you capture in the human face is quite a challenge to accomplish. Drawing people has been a recent undertaking of mine that I constantly struggle with.
Glad to hear you're getting back into drawing again. Hopefully your reluctance goes away and things get easier as you continue.
Look forward to seeing more.
~Brandi

#9 ·
Starting off-welcome to the forum!
Your work is wonderful. I look back on some of the things I did in high school and cringe. The expressions you capture in the human face is quite a challenge to accomplish. Drawing people has been a recent undertaking of mine that I constantly struggle with.
Glad to hear you're getting back into drawing again. Hopefully your reluctance goes away and things get easier as you continue.
Look forward to seeing more.
~Brandi
Thank you for your welcome. I always had an easy time with humans, faces and hands as well as the rest of the body. I cut my artistic teeth drawing comic book covers when I was as young as 6. I checked your home page. There are some good things there. You have superb control and your horses are tops. My 10 year old daughter draws them and she loves what you can do much more than my work. She has never seen me draw but that is changing.

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum! I wish I still had some of my works from when I was in school. Someone told me to never throw away any of your artwork because it's nice to see how far you've come over the years. I think it's wonderful how you've picked up again with your drawing despite personal tragedies. Keep it up, you may find it to be very therapeutic. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.