Artist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every body and thank you for having me here. I have an interesting issue that you might help with! My wife can draw well especially existing pictures (that is why I am here to ask) and she is going to draw some paintings for the walls that are asked by my company where I work. We are decorating our offices so I thought it is a nice support for her. My major question here is, how legal it is to draw an existing image? I really have no idea. If you ask me, I would suppose that if you draw some random scene, then it is yours. What if you want to draw a scene, landscape, buildings, portrait, abstract etc. that someone picks and shows you from a platform where these are put for sale / not commercial use / etc / etc! Is it like you may print a twin of it but you need to deviate with some details to be not doing an exact clone?

I will pick two random pieces from the internet
https://pixabay.com/de/photos/affe-gorilla-m-porträt-zoo-primas-4699722/

Please suggest how to manage this correctly. We live in Germany.

Many thanks!
Abdu

·
Registered
Digital art
9 Posts
Personally and in these cases, I'd always try to get in contact with the owner and let them know. Sure, using the artwork as a decoration only seems harmless, however there would be a chance that they know somehow that their artwork was reproduced and maybe modified by someone else and they never knew. Even if you didn't earn money for that, the original artist may not like it.
For the Pixabay image, it's okay if you use it and modify it without permission.

Reactions: Mukhtar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally and in these cases, I'd always try to get in contact with the owner and let them know. Sure, using the artwork as a decoration only seems harmless, however there would be a chance that they know somehow that their artwork was reproduced and maybe modified by someone else and they never knew. Even if you didn't earn money for that, the original artist may not like it.
For the Pixabay image, it's okay if you use it and modify it without permission.
Thank you so much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts