Artist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even sure if this is the correct forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I need to make a mold of a gap between two fiberglass panels. The panels are made with curves, bends, and angles and the gap varies from as little as 1/4 inch to 1 1/8 inch. And the panels are about 55 inches wide.

I'd like to find something to span the gap the entire width, that I can also remove to make a plaster mold with. And then pour a hard plastic in the mold to actually make a filler for the gap.
Sounds complicated, doesn't it?

Let me clarify. I'm working on a car with a fiberglass hood and fiberglass front end. There is an unacceptable gap between the hood and front end. I am looking for a clay or some other substance to spread on both the hood and front end, covering the gap, while at the same time, filling in the gap without sagging too far. When this substance has dried, I would like to be able to remove it in one piece without damaging the hood or front end.
I would then construct a frame around the substance and fill the frame with plaster. When dried, I would pour plastic into the plaster to actually make my filler piece, trimming as needed, of course.

Thanks in advance! If this is not the correct forum, please let me know and I will search for others

· Administrator
209 Posts
it's not complicated to me - photos of your concerns would help a lot.
and yes, there are several products and methods that will work to keep the plaster from oozing through open seams.
are you using epoxy or polyester resin for the glassing ??
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.