Artist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, I wonder if anyone with experience with drawing tablets could recommend any model or trick to get a texture on the tablet surface that is as close as possible to paper?. I've been using a basic, somewhat old Wacom tablet model that cost 50 euros for a almost half a year, and although the issue of drawing while looking at the computer screen doesn't pose major problems, drawing on the tablet is difficult for me due to the sliding effect of being on a plastic surface. The stroke control is quite frustrating, and over time I've been drawing less and less on the medium. I wanted to know if you know of any tablet with a rough surface (I don't know if any have it or if it works as well as I imagine) or any tip like using a protector for the tablet surface that provides that extra adhesion. I've seen that some people put a sheet of paper on top of the tablet, holding it in place with adhesive tape, but I don't really know what to think. Maybe you know a tablet that would make things easier with the "paper" feel. I understand that also being one of the cheapest tablets and also being a model from years back, it is possible that I am judging drawing with these devices a bit lightly. I've seen the reMarkable models that apparently do quite well with this effect, but the size and the fact that is more oriented towards taking notes, I dont think is the ideal buy. I'm not particularly interested in a tablet with a display, if I could somehow improve the latency and adhesion to the surface I would be quite satisfied. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
Digital painting, Clip Studio Paint/ Rebelle
5 Posts
I don't have much of an issue with the standard drawing tablet surface(wacom) but I did have the idea of sanding it to give it more resistance, never it though. It will however cause the nib to wear down faster. Depending on the tablet brand you own they sometimes sell other nib types.
As for the any display tablets(surface pro and such) I always use a matte screen protector drawing on smooth glass is terrible. You could also use this type of screen protector and use on a standard tablet, you would probably just need to get a bigger size and cut it to fit.

· Registered
36 Posts
You could also try the different nibs that usually come
with a Wacom tablet. For example, I use the softer ones
and not the plastic ones. You can also buy them later
if you don't have any.

Since the Wacom pen is recognized by the tablet even
if you just hover over it with the pen, so it shouldn't be a
problem to try out different home foils/papers. Until
you find a material that you like.

· Registered
Digital Art, Traditional Art, Character Design
17 Posts
Good evening, I wonder if anyone with experience with drawing tablets could recommend any model or trick to get a texture on the tablet surface that is as close as possible to paper?. I've been using a basic, somewhat old Wacom tablet model that cost 50 euros for a almost half a year, and although the issue of drawing while looking at the computer screen doesn't pose major problems, drawing on the tablet is difficult for me due to the sliding effect of being on a plastic surface. The stroke control is quite frustrating, and over time I've been drawing less and less on the medium. I wanted to know if you know of any tablet with a rough surface (I don't know if any have it or if it works as well as I imagine) or any tip like using a protector for the tablet surface that provides that extra adhesion. I've seen that some people put a sheet of paper on top of the tablet, holding it in place with adhesive tape, but I don't really know what to think. Maybe you know a tablet that would make things easier with the "paper" feel. I understand that also being one of the cheapest tablets and also being a model from years back, it is possible that I am judging drawing with these devices a bit lightly. I've seen the reMarkable models that apparently do quite well with this effect, but the size and the fact that is more oriented towards taking notes, I dont think is the ideal buy. I'm not particularly interested in a tablet with a display, if I could somehow improve the latency and adhesion to the surface I would be quite satisfied. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure about a specific tablet that has the kind of texture you're looking for. But there are these really cool screen protectors called 'Paperlike' and I've heard they work really well. Here's the link:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts