Artist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am designing a houseboat (2 floors), with a painting studio on the bottom floor; Now I see in more 2-floor houseboats (*) that the windows on the bottom floor are always high (because the houseboat is deep in the water).

My question: Is a (northern) window (see the screenshot below of a random Dutch houseboat on the internet) that is so high a disadvantage? And will the size of the window possibly be too small?

I'm curious about your answers. ;)

Marco

Window Table Computer Home appliance Comfort

·
Administrator
180 Posts
welcome to the forum, Marco.
I'm just curious about your past nautical adventures. Have you had a houseboat before or spent a lot of time on one ?
I am a boating enthusiast. So I'm trying to envision what you are wanting.
When you say "Northern" does that mean that the boat will "always" be tied up in the same spot for ever ?
Can you share some links to the "random two-story houseboats" that you are interested in ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
John Smith_inFL said:
Have you had a houseboat before or spent a lot of time on one ?
No, I have no experience yet with living on a houseboat. Being close to the forces of nature (water, wind) really appeals to me.

John Smith_inFL said:
When you say "Northern" does that mean that the boat will "always" be tied up in the same spot for ever ?
To be honest; I have yet to find a berth. I also have to 'hope' that my berth is suitable, to have a north-facing window.
I'm mostly visualizing it. I am positive; I'm sure that will work.

John Smith_inFL said:
Can you share some links to the "random houseboats" that you are interested in ?
Yes, I can:

1) Woonark (drijvend huis) op een prachtige plek boven Amsterdam | Bijzonder wonen - Aflevering 6
2) Luxe wonen op een woonboot in Amsterdam | BinnensteBuiten Nice how the light enters the hallway. Interesting to use in my living room, but not for my painting studio, where my ceiling will also be the floor of the floor above. But as for the bedroom; Here too, the same type of window (as in the previous houseboat) can be seen.

·
Administrator
180 Posts
That's very impressive - are you wanting to refurbish an existing boat or build a new one from scratch?
Take into consideration this is a very slow moving "art" forum. When it comes to your boat, you need to seek out a forum dedicated to houseboats. Our boats here in Florida (USA) are very different than yours and I like yours MUCH better !! Good luck in your projects.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello And Welcome To The Forum Marco...;)
Grazie! :cool:

That's very impressive - are you wanting to refurbish an existing boat or build a new one from scratch?
Take into consideration this is a very slow moving "art" forum. When it comes to your boat, you need to seek out a forum dedicated to houseboats. Our boats here in Florida (USA) are very different than yours and I like yours MUCH better !! Good luck in your projects.
I choose to build a boat from scratch.
Yeah, sure. Your houseboats must be very different.

But as for the high window; It has a considerable width, but of itself a limited height; That shouldn't be a limitation?

·
Administrator
180 Posts
In your design, you can consider how much natural light you want in your studio and make that your priority. Then, design the boat walls with that in mind and see how it comes out. (or if it is even feasible).
For myself, I would have to be actually on one of your boats in person to determine how much window would suit my needs.(Plus - I am claustophobic on boats - I need to be able to look out a window and either see the dock or the water - not open sky). My suggestions would be to visit some of your boats and take notes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts