Artist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across this site and figured I'd sign up. See if I can network with some cool artist folk. If anyone wants to see some of my art let me know. I have badly taken pictures of em and am trying to wait to show it until I can get to a decent scanner and get some quality scans of em.

I try all mediums in art, its a great way to escape and free my mind. I love painting and drawing with graphite and charcoal. I'm working with some dry brush style stuff at the moment. My goal is to hopefully find some sort of career that allows me to use my creativity and talent and not let it go to waste.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I got a decent pic of some of my work. Mostly quick sketches. I lost a lot of my paintings and stuff in a fire a few months back and what I have now was just what was with me and not in the storage facility.

This is just a Rose I was messing around with one night.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Lucid, Great to have you at the forums...Yeah I know so many artists who do nothing with their art and has done nothing for years. Regardless if you become an artist that makes a living at art and the creating or whatever life chooses for you, never stop being an artist, I have seen too many artists who have just become people.

Great flower, very nice line work you have going on there...It's terrible about the fire and the loss of your work but you are still here to create that is the main point. Look forward to seeing more of your work...

·
Registered
2 Posts
New artist on the block :p

Hi I'm currently a student at uni doing something I don't enjoy. I've always thought about art and one of my dreams is to be a successful artist. I feel like no one listens or understands my emotions, so I am thinking of doing art which shows my emotions on paper. I just need a few pointers in the right direction because it has been a while since I've done art, which I always came top in my class for. So art for me will become an expression of emotions, I even have a few creative ideas up my sleeve to incorporate into my drawings. Guidance is much appreciated
Thank you Artists
Bilawal Khokhar :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Bilawal, it's great to have you here at the forums...being an artist is something that we are born with, it is only when we release the creations that we become successful. The best advice I can give to you is, enjoy everything that you learn and never stop, whatever art style you grow into let that passion take control while controlling what you have inside your emotions.

While you learn the great teachings of your instructors always hold true to who you are as an artist and grow into who you want to be. What would you call being successful?

Great to have you here and looking forward to seeing your art...

·
Registered
2 Posts
successful

Thanks for your advice :)
What I mean by being successful is that my drawings not just have an effect on people but the desired effect. If the lovers of art like my drawings, that would be admirable, but if they understand and become emotionally moved that would be a sense of accomplishment.

Bilawal

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
OK I got a decent pic of some of my work. Mostly quick sketches. I lost a lot of my paintings and stuff in a fire a few months back and what I have now was just what was with me and not in the storage facility.

This is just a Rose I was messing around with one night.
Welcome! So sorry to hear about the fire. That had to have been hard. The rose is lovely!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is one of the most horrible things I can imagine, losing things in a fire especially things that you worked on to make. Theft is another one. There are so many ways we can lose what is ours, what we worked hard to make. Perhaps it is a test to see how strong you are to continue what you started. If you feel the calling to make your art happen, then be strong and continue that. You may be surprised by what comes of it. Whatever your media, art is what happens from your heart and soul, only you can decide what it's to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the support. It was very hard to handle when I heard of the fire that took my work. I was very down for a while. It was hard to even pick up a pencil lol. I over came it tho. Then for some ridiculous I decided to put some of my work on a well known TROLLING site and I got ripped into a million little pieces seriously. I was told I suck horribly and will never be an artist. I want to be a tattoo artist above all and was told it would never happen. Whats funny is while I had 30 comments telling me how much I suck. No one would give any specific reason as to why. What was so wrong with the pics I did post. I know I may not be the most epicly awesome arteest in the world but I know I don't suck lol. I just hope I am able to become a recognized artist and can hopefully become a tattoo artist.

Here are the pics that people suggest SUCK HORRIBLY

The first is an Alien that I totally just pulled outta my butt lol which is why the left eye is none existent lol. The next ones are various types of lotus-y flowers I drew on myself and my gf using different types of sharpies and highlighters.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
As artists we all must learn before we do anything...and to do anything well we must put in the time to master what we can out of what we create. For all artists we all have something to learn and we all have something to teach. For people to just come out and say they don't like something i9s just as bad for somebody to come out and just tell you they like something and not give any details about it. Sometimes I know it is hard to find the right words or have the time to take to write what they actually think.

Even if it is just a did bit of information why or why not they like something would be an insight to an artist and will help not just the artist grow but also the ones critiquing the work. I learn more from critiquing others work, I get to delve deeper into why a certain color works or why it doesn't, my like and dislikes in a certain piece. I then take that information back into my artwork and grow from others work.

My strongest suggestion is to learn as much as possible about drawing and never stop looking and more importantly never stop seeing. We all fall into a pit sometimes and it is very hard to get out of being comfortable with something we have learned and stay with what is working for us for way to long.

Your art is not mind blowing but it is not amateurish either...it has very great potential for being great flash for tattoos. My brother for example is a great artist when it comes to the needle but can't do anything with a pencil or a brush, crazy I know but true.

So what I would say is keep at it and never stop pursuing your art, even when the naysayers tell you different but listen to criticism when it is warranted.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
As usual..George has awesome words of wisdom. Don't let anybody discourage you. I actually quite like your alien...your shading and proportions are very nice.

I have learned, and continue to learn, a lot from the criticisms of my work.
I look at my old work as a reminder of how far I have come and look at my current work with a critical eye mainly because I want to continually better myself. I try not to become complacent. I know I can do better...my goals are to figure out how to get there. I understand your frustration. An actual helpful critique, even if it's negative, goes much farther than an outright condemnation of your work with no further explanation. Many times that negative critique has made me step back and say..you know...you're right. I do need to improve in that area.

I for one look forward to seeing more work from you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts