Artist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm new to the forum; I've looked around and see some great artwork here. Just a bit about me... I've been drawing since I was 5 and now I'm in my fifties and still loving it. I've seen some comments about freehand and grids and using rulers and so I thought I'd give my opinion right off, I'm not wanting any kind of discussion on this I'm just telling my view so you know who I am from the beginning.

I was raised being told the only true artist is a freehand artist and I worked very hard to develop my skill, I am a freehand artist I do believe it's very important to learn freehand skills first. I've since overcome this line of bull that was told to me years ago. I believe there's nothing wrong with using a grid or a ruler and if you study the old masters you might be surprised to find out what types of tools they used as well.

Anyway....here's a close-up portion of my latest portrait of a good friend and her daughter, this photo was taken around 1982 and I fell in love with it and had to do it. The full drawing is on my website. I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Thanks for looking...C & C's are always welcome.

Sandy :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Welcome! Beautiful work!!! Quite honestly I believe I had to do gridwork way back when in my college years but I started out freehand and I continue to do freehand. No rulers or grids for me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome Sandy!

I believe there's nothing wrong with using a grid or a ruler
Amen! :D

I must be missing something. I don't see a pic. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts