Artist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My name is Monna Ellithorpe. I am 53, a widow, a mother and have 2 grandkids.

I searched until I found this forum and have found a lot of interesting information here.

I've always been one to try a little of everything creative; scrapbooking, quilting, ceramics, crochet, beading...pretty much have tried about everything, except for drawing and painting. I always thought it was a talent you were born with and I had only managed stick people and palm trees in the past. Recently I met a new friend on the internet who is an artist and my interest in drawing and painting has come alive again. So here I am, realizing I can probably do this too with some practice and guidance.

I am not sure what I like to work with yet. I am working with pencil drawing, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, watercolors and acrylics. I haven't attempted oils as I don't live in my own house now since my husband passed away. I am caregiver to an elderly lady and would be too afraid to even attempt using oils in her house.

I know I need to practice - a lot.

I look forward to meeting new people and learning from each of you.

Monna :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Welcome, Monna! I come from a similar situation. At age 57, I started drawing on Feb 18th of this year. To date, I have done around 450 drawings and paintings, in an effort to find my niche. An advantage I find in being single is that I can obsess on art at times without reprocussions.
You will find a very diverse group here of beginning through professional artists. Many things I post are not commented on. That's okay. Just the idea that it is seen spurs me on to the next one. I look forward to your participation in this forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Don,

Thank you for the welcome. Wow, 450 drawings and paintings, that is a lot. I have looked around the forum quite a bit but don't remember seeing any of your work.

I just put mine in my album. I am like you. It doesn't really matter if anyone comments on my work or not. I'm just keeping myself busy learning something new and if someone happens to like any of them or not, that's okay too.

So far I'm really only interested in landscapes and flowers.

I look forward to reading more and more on the forum.

Monna

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Welcome! Don is one motivated artist. It has been so neat to see him progress. He has done so rapidly.

I am more of a "work in progress" lol - work at a snails pace but I have an excuse with a little one at home, a job, and homeschooling - lots on my plate.

I checked out your album. Nice work! This is a great place to grow and learn from a variety of artists. You will like it here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Chanda95

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment on my work.

I will have to search out and look at others works too.

It sure does sound like you have a plateful. I will have to look for yours too.

Monna

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome Monna, great to have you here! I'm in the "work-in-progress" category as well. lol! I have a husband, three girls and a zoo of animals that keep me from devoting as much time to my drawings as I'd like. There is certainly a lot of inspiration to be found on this forum and I encourage you to dive right in. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the welcome.

Just wondering, does anyone else have a problem with getting started on something?

It's almost like I am afraid to start something and mess it up or don't know where to start.

I have so many ideas and pictures I've taken that I want to draw but when I sit down, I just stare at the blank page.

Monna :confused:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Getting started on something is difficult for me when I'm doing something for myself. Sometimes I'll start something with gusto and then just lose interest and that probably happens more often. What happens is I'll get so far in it and then life will get busy to where I won't have time to work on it for a week or two and then I have trouble getting back into it. Right now I'm trying to get some pieces done to enter in our local fair and I've just completely lost interest in one I started.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I didnt have problems for months, then I hit a wall where I lost interest. I did a lot of visualisation exercises and came up with some new scenes and Ideas on how to do things differently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I guess it happens. I just didn't expect it to happen so soon for me. I'm really just getting started.

Maybe it's because I haven't really worked enough with any medium to know what I really enjoy working with.

My last attempt at a watercolor landscape turned out to be a mess and I think that has sort of put a damper on my enthusiasm.

Monna

1 - 10 of 10 Posts