Artist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what may be a slightly unique problem.
I have a sketchbook that I'm in the final stages of completing. It's fairly large. I've been carrying it around for a year, and it's starting to fall apart. Every page is used, on both sides, often both pages of a spread. I also use cigarettes, incense, and other forms of fire to burn holes that become part of the design. I've used oil pastels, watercolor, acrylic, markers, pens, and just about anything that was in arms reach. The result is nice, in my opinion, and people love to flip through it.

The time, the medium and the climate have certainly left it's own mark, however, and I'm looking for a good way to preserve the pages.

I've tried using 11x17 transparency sheets, folded over and melted together on the edges, but it's not ideal, as the holes, sometimes 5 or 6 pages deep, lose their depth and just look cloudy if more than one or two pages deep.

Ideally, i could either have very thin, clear protective covering over each page and somehow still look clear with minimal clouding. Or, less ideal, find a way to tastefully reinforce the edges (which are NOT uniform, as many edges are burned several inches in. I've got a few places that want to display the book in physical form but I'm not sure how to protect it.

Any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
Oils, Acrylics, Collagraphy, Monoprints, drypoint, and Sculpture
2 Posts
Need a bit more information.
What type of binding is it?
Are the pages in signatures? If so, how many pages per signature and how many signatures total?

There are many possibilities to rebind a book. But options change depending on the starting point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts