Artist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my first "real" painting that I've ever done - the only other was a tree with no background/ground, just to see how brushes worked). I posted it in another thread where I asked a question, but as people may not read that thread, I'm open to critiques here ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, paintingwithmarc ;-) I'm really proud of the foreground tree, but now that I have a liner brush those branches are much easier to do ;-)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've been meaning to respond to this piece and just now having the proper time to say something about it. The atmosphere perspective is rather nice, it gives the piece a nice depth to it and lets the viewer get lost in it for a while. Your sun beams that streak through the trees gives great movement for the eye to travel and directs the eye to the main focus of the tree...however, I would have liked to seen a bit more high comp detail to some of the bark towards the base of the trunk of the tree. The grass is done really nicely and works well with the piece.

Great time laps...what easel are you working with?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks your for comments, George ;-) My weakness with trees tends to be with the leaves, and that extends to the grass, so your remark about the grass is much appreciated! I see what you mean about the detail in the tree. Something to work on in the future ;-)

The easel is one that I purchased at Walmart when I got my first set of paints/brushes there: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alvin-Heritage-trade-Deluxe-Aluminum-Field-Easel/17367679. It's kind of wobbly, but does it's job. In the future, especially if I expand beyond the 16"x20" canvas size (this painting was done on canvas panel, but I've been working on actual stretched canvas lately), I may get one that is more sturdy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks your for comments, George ;-) My weakness with trees tends to be with the leaves, and that extends to the grass, so your remark about the grass is much appreciated! I see what you mean about the detail in the tree. Something to work on in the future ;-)

The easel is one that I purchased at Walmart when I got my first set of paints/brushes there: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Alvin-Heritage-trade-Deluxe-Aluminum-Field-Easel/17367679. It's kind of wobbly, but does it's job. In the future, especially if I expand beyond the 16"x20" canvas size (this painting was done on canvas panel, but I've been working on actual stretched canvas lately), I may get one that is more sturdy.
Live anywhere near Victoria B.C. Canada? I got a couple giant easels from a art school, the just bought new stuff, they're covered in dried paint, but there massive, could handle prolly a 5' by 5'

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, those would be huge canvases! Unfortunately, I live in the very southern end of Arizona, USA, near the US/Mexico border. I'd still take one, but after shipping costs it would probably be more efficient to purchase one new online, HA! ;-)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That painting is friggin' awesome man ("Nebula II")! I've been wanting to do a space scene, but I just can't come up with a design that I like, and I'm pretty sure I'll fail fairly hard if I try to replicate anything that I've seen in real life...lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't mind. I'm usually the person who ends up hijacking threads in forums. It's nice not to be me for once! HA!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.