Artist Forum banner
121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Night music, soft pastel, 30x40cm, by me, 2021 View attachment 67533
I believe any critique of this picture would have to conclude that you have a perfect foreground. The mid-ground color closer in to the wave "might" be worthy of a bit of color change, but that is being picky. Are there more details seen at the horizon line than could be there? You also have clouds billowing upward from the horizon. They have sharper edges than I would agree with, but then again possibly, the huge cloud is closer to the front than I'm seeing. This is technically an overall great piece, especially in the foreground. I believe that all viewers would agree that you have mastered pastels, just pay closer to the composition and bring it up to your excellent abilities.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Faith, soft pastel, 30x40cm, by me, 2021 View attachment 67555
Faith is a good title. You really do keep getting better and better with your oceans/waves/etc. It's obvious that you have put a lot of compositional thought into it. Water almost always reflects the sky above both in color and mood. I think you could provide your own critique of just how well you've accomplished that phenomenon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Faith is a good title. You really do keep getting better and better with your oceans/waves/etc. It's obvious that you have put a lot of compositional thought into it. Water almost always reflects the sky above both in color and mood. I think you could provide your own critique of just how well you've accomplished that phenomenon.
....... I know, but I wanted so much emerald fabulous water (((

·
Registered
92 Posts
....... I know, but I wanted so much emerald fabulous water (((
But, it IS fabulous water! It's full of energy and appears alive! I don't know if you are able to give yourself credit, but you should. Not all of any artist's work is wonderful. Ha! It can't be. But we each take what we do best or have done best and combine it with something else we do best in a continual refinement of ourselves and our talent until we approach becoming a master. I understand emerald fabulous water. The poet inside each artist must almost be brought to tears with it. We must also become almost very tough on ourselves, take the next step into and maybe not onto the canvas. You have that capability, and everyone who sees your work knows this. So, splash in, but do the self critique if only not to change the composition, but to ultimately become better and better at what you do. I have a suggestion: visit this url, see if it will be of interest. Oil Pastels - WetCanvas: Online Living for Artists

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Euphoria due to perfection ...by the artist. CONGRATULATIONS and first prize to you! This is world class art.
Mike, you spoil me ... but seriously, your words cut into my soul yesterday and I could not find a place for myself, and in the evening, I realized, I need to draw, throw everything straight, turn on the lamp and draw, and I did it
thank you very much and do not leave this site, without you it will be boring and dreary here

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mike, you spoil me ... but seriously, your words cut into my soul yesterday and I could not find a place for myself, and in the evening, I realized, I need to draw, throw everything straight, turn on the lamp and draw, and I did it
thank you very much and do not leave this site, without you it will be boring and dreary here
Anna, thank you . But you know I'll always remain hard hitting with my critique. I can tell where you get in a hurry and where you spend extra time on details . 😁 I don't use the words world class but maybe once every two years .
Thank you. Actually, I had been intending to remove myself from this site. It's part of a larger company like most forum sites are, but unlike the one I strongly suggest that you take advantage of called Wet Canvas, this forum is not maintained by the parent company. I would not be surprised if they shut it down.
And by the way, I seldom if ever use the words, "world class", and my critique is usually on the brash side. But truth is truth and more often than not, truth can appear very ugly. Personally, I think you owe it to yourself to do two things: One is to move up in this world of made-fast art. There are others who have talent like yours, and they should move up too, but people make their own decisions-- as they should. I looked into Artist Forum as a means to fill in a time slot. Finding your talent here has been a very pleasant surprise. The Artist Forum admin is almost non existent, and for that reason I will soon definitely remove myself from it. Two--We each have a limited time on this planet. What we ultimately do with our time should be extremely important to each of us. You are absolutely correct! Draw! I too must do the same. I have proof that each time we repeat a process, our result becomes better. Right now, I have a 5 year old grandson's drawing on my large floor easel. I don't care what he draws, I encourage him. Actually he does pretty darn good, and he draws fast and completes what he's wanting to represent. I began drawing at age 4 (still have those), and I'll repeat this, the more we work, the better we become at it.
Most of us who can accomplish various things will endeavor to involve ourselves with those things. MAYBE this ability can get in the way of our genius. Maybe it doesn't, but I for one remain ever mindful that focus on my best ability is where I should be.
I have to laugh at myself every time I wake up at 3 a.m. with a completed painting done in my mind. I make notes into a sketch pad beside my bed, then attempt to return asleep. A Picasso, well, two Picasso's really hang in our guest bathroom. Several of my paintings hang in there too because the new gallery has yet to get finished. Paintings are everywhere! Picasso made over 12,000 drawings, (some aren't so great). I have work measured by weight. What will my family do with all of it?? But that's the point if we want to delve into philosophy. I should end this. The point is, I'll quote from my blog: Get a grip on the fact that art and humanity together is a process, and we are given to its creation! Also, all of it is creation given to us.
keep on keeping on.😁

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Same as the waves, you're on a roll aren't ya. The light on the boat made this one right. I'm wondering if a small amount of moon would add to or detract from this composition?
perhaps the moon would also be in place here, but I wanted to portray a very dark day

121 - 140 of 140 Posts