Artist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Nice! I can't imagine he was easy to tackle. He does not have the easiest face in the world but you managed to do it! Every time you post a picture I see more and more and more improvement. Its neat to see.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You're doing great Don! You did a good job portraying the light coming from the left side of the page in Merle. There is something about the eye in the second one that bothers me. Can't put my finger on it, but overall you did a good job. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chanda and Pencilme in! I worked hard on the left light source in the Merle portrait. A step forward for me. As to Jim's eye, it is different. His bottom eyelids hang well below the iris and the shadow backing is harsh, but they were that way in the photo. Perhaps some photos are better for portraits than others. Here is my latest, not entirely happy with it. This is Buddy, first without his glasses:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Your enthusiasm for your work is awesome and you are motivating me so you better not stop posting your artwork!!! The seinfeld one - yup, you captured that face for sure. No mistaking that one! I like your use of light and dark and I really like the Waylan portrait.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DonH, I can see that you're becoming immersed with your charcoal works and I think that you're doing great. I like the second version of Buddy with his eyeglasses on. It's more detailed than the first one.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ah, Johnbriner, the only difference between the Buddies IS the glasses. We are conditioned to the glasses. :) . Chanda, I get the hint, lol. Had an extreemly busy day, but stopped for a plein air sketch at the old home place: Dad's old pickup, still sitting patiently where he left it 25 years ago. Title: "Lonesome Treasure"

·
Registered
464 Posts
You're really starting to nail the depth in your portraits, Don! I love, love, love the truck! It's simple yet detailed at the same time. Great work!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the kind remarks, Pencilmein. Perhaps the emotional attachment to that old pickup came through in the drawing. Its puppy dog night here:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
LOL! must be in the air I see. dogs, dogs and more dogs. Very nice once again. I do like the truck as well. I have seen many a truck like that around here and it's like they all have their own stories to tell that will never be told.

Speaking of dogs I need to feed mine and get to fixing that nose! Now that I really look at it - it's bothering me and I won't sleep well until I get it corrected.

Nice job!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.