Artist Forum banner

Me Again

4K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Susan Mulno 
#1 ·
My second attempt.

Not too happy with this paper, it seems to be more difficult to smooth and blend the graphite.

Attachments

See less See more
#15 ·
I suspect that you have the right front tooth drawn at the wrong way. However, you are depending on lines too much and not enough on shading to portray shapes. The shading isn't dark enough either. Don't be afraid of the dark.

#21 ·
That sure helps Sis... A few problems I see (only what I see.. others might see differently)

1) Your proportions are out. Not important so much in landscapes.. or still life. But in portraits.. you MUST have certain things spot on or all will go awry. For example.. the face is much narrower in the photo than in your rendering.. causing you to misplace features. Try using a grid and you will see what I mean.

2) The mouth is definitely not wide enough.. which is probably causing a lot of the trouble in that area.

3) You have the left eye (our right) slanting down.. when in the photo it slants up a bit. Also the left ear it tilted wrongly.. making the head look turned differently.

I would definitely try this again.. but this time grid out the proportions to get the head shape and feature placement correct. I think you will then find the whole thing will fall into place nicely for you.

By the way.. although it could use a bit more contrast.. the hair is extremely well done! You have definitely hit it on the head (pardon the pun.. LOL)

Hope that all helps some...

D

#23 ·
I agree with you on going grid-less Susan. On the other hand, you'll probably have a lot of imperfections in your drawings until you can finally do it by sight alone.

With that said, my next painting is going to be from a photo of my wife in Disney, her happy place! Even though she will only take up a small portion of the scene, there's a ton of detail that I'm not used to painting. Lots of colorful hotels and palm trees and such surrounding her. I'm seriously considering a projector to get all the lines right so I can concentrate on my colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.