Artist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello artists! I edited this to include a picture.

I'm looking for a statue to be made. If you're capable of making this, please send me a message. Here's what I'd like to have made.

An asclepius (not a caduceus) with an Israeli saw-scale viper as the serpent. It will be put on my desk and needs to stand upright. The height needs to be around 12". It can be in any material, but the serpent neets to be painted bronze and the rod needs to look like wood.

To go over specifics and to see what you think as the artist, please contact me. Thank you!
White Handwriting Mammal Gesture Font

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and thank you. I am in Iowa.

The style of I'm looking for is the classic asclepius which is a single snake wrapped around a wooden staff. The double snake with the wings at the top is called a caduceus and has a very different meaning.

The snake should be the historically accurate Israeli saw-scale viper with a bronze color finish. The wooden staff I'd like to look like a rustic wooden staff.

I'd like the snake to be wrapped around the staff as though it's a real snake with the head looking out, mouth closed and tongue in. I don't want there to be any evil or malicious look. Sitting on the desk would be the stick and some sort of stand, no tail or fancy thing.

·
Administrator
84 Posts
that's good - but you still need to give more information, photos, drawings, sketches, etc for anyone to understand what you want. price could be between $500 and $2,000.00. depending on how much detail you want.

·
Administrator
84 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a friend that carves realistic snakes on walking sticks - but, they are like 4 to 5 feet long. 12 inches or smaller presents a different set of challenges to get the details correct and proportionate in scale. Some sacrifices may have to be made in order to meet your expectations.

That snake looks beautiful. What kind of sacrifices are you thinking? Also, I'm not looking for the snake to be in and color, other than bronze.

·
Administrator
84 Posts
I understand the bronze statue part.
if you notice on the larger snake, the scales are burned into the skin with a woodburner (pyrography) one-by-one.
on a snake that is only a few inches tall, (or long) that may not be possible and the skin would be smooth to the look and touch. again, it depends on your budget. carving small objects is much, much more difficult than carving larger objects.
and to be seen on a desk, puts the project within two feet of people that will definitely want to see it up close.
so - your design, realistic goal and budget will determine the final outcome.
I made a scale burning tool specifically for 5 foot long Eastern DiamondBack Rattlesnake walking sticks.
when burning scales that are only 2mm in size would look like a burned corn cob when finished. so you need to have "realistic" goals in mind. (and, I have to ask - - - WHY do you want this particular object on your desk ??)
Plant Natural material Tree Wood Fruit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. The scales are one of the things that I like as a difference from the current statues available. I wonder if clay would make it easier?

Eitherway, with the statue being 12 inches tall, the snake will be the entire height and coiled around the staff, so the snake would be closer to 18inchs long.

Why? To start I'm a nurse. And as a nurse I take pride in helping to heal people as I have the ability. The asclepius is a biblical symbol of the same. And as a note, the caduceus is not a symbol solely for healing, but is also for thievery and commerce - strange certain places use that eh?

Anyway, I was recently blessed with a job as a DON and building supervisor at a medical facility and will finally have a desk and office. I'd like to keep an asclepius on my desk or credenza as a symbol and goal of our mission statement.

As for price, I'm no thousand-aire. I'd rather have a quote than state a budget so the actual cost can be judged v saying my budget is disappointingly or stupidly high.

·
Administrator
84 Posts
I personally don't know what a "asclepius" is - you need to educate me on that.
I need to have a pretty accurate description, sketch, drawing, or sample photo before I can forward your request to one of my colleagues for review.
I belong to a few woodworking forums that have "carving" sections. and there are some very talented and gifted craftsmen there that might be interested in your project. in our world, you "show" us what you want, and we will build it. We can't even begin if we don't know what the customer wants. so - please try to put on paper of what you have in your mind.
as for nursing - THANK YOU !!! for your dedicated and unselfish of giving to others in need.
looking forward to seeing your design soon.
John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts