Artist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm here because I want to learn and meet others with similar leanings. I want to be able to say “I'm an artist”, without feeling obligated to go on about how, “I'm really not very good”, or some other such qualification.

When I was very young people in my life told me I was talented at drawing and I loved art and the place it brought me in my mind. Some how as I got older I started to buy in to the idea that artistic endeavors were impractical and all artists eccentric (the eccentric part I no longer think is a bad thing btw, but I was young and cared more what others think than I do now :)). There's a little more to my abandoning art than this but that is the general idea... and thus I have done very little art in the past 15 years or so. I love art especially portraiture. I know I am lacking in technique and am intimated by mediums with which I have had little experience but I feel it's time for me to get over that bs and learn and develop. Perhaps I'll never be great but I can be the best I can be, (so cheesy but so true).

My grandmother was portrait artist. She was quite good and I am proud to be able to show people her work and would like my family to be able to say the same about me. I feel art is in my blood. Now I just need practice, technique.

My schedule right now is hectic. I work full time, I'm a single mother and soon I'll be doing university classes as well. Still I feel I must make time to develop my artistic side. I have found a life drawing/painting studio near where I live and am going to try to find time to go to drop in sessions, especially since people are my subject of choice. I am also considering taking online classes through Sessions College for Professional Design, but would like to know if they are reputable before I shell out money. Does anyone have experience with them?

I live in British Columbia, in a Vancouver suburb and would love to meet people in the Vancouver art community.

I have included a recent sketch and a monochrome painting below. Please bear in mind that I did them quickly and I recognize some proportions are quite off. I also recognize I have much work to do but also think I have the passion and commitment now to improve. All this said they will give you some idea of my style.

Please note my avatar is me as a child, done by my grandmother in pastel.

Sorry to make this so long. Thank you for being here... I'm glad to have found this place.

girl in profile by emilylbagnald, on Flickr

blue girl by emilylbagnald, on Flickr

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry your intro went unnoticed for a bit, the site is still pretty new. :)

I'm glad to hear you want to get back into art after some years off. Having the passion and commitment is a great start, the rest will fall into place. Please continue to share your works, you've certainly got the ability to go far.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi there!

Good work, your grandmother sounds like an awesome woman :). I find that the more I draw/whatever the better I am at it which is why I am horrible at things I don't like to do aka cleaning up after myself :D. With time and practice you are sure to become great master artist. For now though enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome. I too have recently returned to art. I know the thoughts about is being an artist practical. At the end of my high school years, my father offerd to send me to Paris to study. I passed the admissions but was not sure about the practicallity of art as a career. I gave up the chance of Studing in Paris.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts