Artist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I found this in an old abandoned building in the forest in Germany. Blackened wood structure. The ceiling is collapsing and there are mushrooms growing inside. The painting would not have been long for this world.

It could use a good cleaning.

Picture frame Rectangle Nature Wood Painting
Plant Natural landscape Cloud Sky Tree

· Registered
44 Posts
From what I can tell, the signature reads as ‘Bauman’, so…

Using Google to look up ‘oil painting Bauman Germany’, I found a possible lead in artist F. Baumann. Probably German or Austrian, and seems to share a name with a Swiss artist (Fritz Cäsar Bauman), so be careful not to mix them up if you decide to do more research on this. However, Fritz worked in Expressionist and Cubist styles, so that should help clear up any possible confusion.

Here’s a link to the relevant Baumann, so you can compare the painting style and affirm whether the painting you have is one of F. Baumann’s. Underneath that, I’ve also added two images of his paintings and one of his signature.

Brown Handwriting Wood Rectangle Tints and shades
Plant Water Sky Paint Cloud

Brown Picture frame Water Rectangle Tree

I hope this helps!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a great help thanks. The signature looks incredibly similar. I had felt strongly it was Fritz Baumann after seeing those paintings on google and reading that he signed with one N but the signatures I saw looked quite different to me. I then did confuse him with the Swiss artist’s bio! It made a lot of sense though, throwing his paintings in the Rhine and living around germany. I found the painting in North Rhine Westphalia. I will have to try and find a bio of the correct Fritz. Thanks a lot

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
From what I can tell, the signature reads as ‘Bauman’, so…

Using Google to look up ‘oil painting Bauman Germany’, I found a possible lead in artist F. Baumann. Probably German or Austrian, and seems to share a name with a Swiss artist (Fritz Cäsar Bauman), so be careful not to mix them up if you decide to do more research on this. However, Fritz worked in Expressionist and Cubist styles, so that should help clear up any possible confusion.

Here’s a link to the relevant Baumann, so you can compare the painting style and affirm whether the painting you have is one of F. Baumann’s. Underneath that, I’ve also added two images of his paintings and one of his signature.

View attachment 69909 View attachment 69912
View attachment 69913

I hope this helps!
Hi, I am looking more closely on my computer now. I was on my phone before with my mother getting far too excited vocally, "that's it! OMG that's it" etc. It was clear she had no logic and yet it clouded my judgment. I thought for sure that was it as we ran out of the door for a tennis lesson.

Looking now it's clear it's not the same signature. The A's start in reverse and Fritz's seems quite rigid and less clear, the one I have is very clear and fluid and relaxed.

Also the back of the frame I have doesn't look anywhere nearly as old as the one from the signature you sent. It looks about a hundred years old to me but I'm no expert and that house is in ruin so perhaps hard to tell the true age.

Either way, the frame I have looks less rustic also.

First is Fritz second 2 mine:

Rectangle Wood Hardwood Wood stain Pattern

Brown Window Wood Rectangle Picture frame

Brown Wood Rectangle Fixture Tints and shades

The search is still on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts