Artist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is featherflies, I am new to this forum, well, new to posting anyway, I am an artist whose medium is feathers. Recently, I had e-mailed a website, whose focus is feathers, and attached some images of some of my work. I was so pleased to get a return e-mail with a request for more information about what I do and how I do it, and said that,they might be interested in doing a blog about me. What an honor for me, not to mention, some exposure. But, my problem is this, she had asked me to resend some of my images in a higher resolution, and in natural light, but I only have access to 0ne of the three she requested, and I do not understand how to send the images, so she can receive them like she had requested, I did some research, and I still don't quite grasp the concept, I would appreciate some input on how I go about doing this. Can I improve on an image if it doesn't contain a higher resolution? How do I send the image, so as to keep the quality ? I have the pictures of my work, but only have access to one of the pieces, to be able to retake the pictures. So, I am not sure how to do this. I would like to thank anyone in advance, that is willing to help me with this, Featherflies:eek:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would ask them if you could create other pieces and explain to them what happen. Also, Is your art three dimensional or is it some how attached to paper or another support? If it is on paper or another support could you scan the pieces instead of taking a picture? If it is 3-D taking a photo of it and attaching it to an email would be your best way of sending the images,

Yes there is a way to get a better resolution, Possibly through Photoshop or another photo imaging software program. If you do not have Photoshop and are unfamiliar with the software, I could see what I could do with the photos you sent if you wanted, maybe or maybe not be able to do something with them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, George, it is 3 dimensional, I do my pictures 16x20 inches, because to scale my pix to fit, that seemed to be the best fit, as compared to the feathers. Then, I shadow box them, usually to the depth of 2 1/2- 3" deep, so, I don't know how I would be able to scan them. The finished piece ends up being pretty big. I wish I knew how to show my work, in a way, that you could get a better idea, of the size of them, (maybe if I were to use something as a comparison to, in the image?) I also wish that I could get a clearer image, so that it were more obvious, that they consist only of feathers. I guess you could say that I "paint" with feathers. Aren't you able to zoom somehow on an image that is displayed on the internet, without having to download it to your computer? I so appreciate you, for responding, and as for the offer to "see what you could do" with them, if you have the time, you would not even know how much that would be appreciated. I had tried a free trial of photoshop a while back, it was for 30 days, and by the time I was able to just crop, a pic, or something small like that,the free trial was over, lol, and I cannot afford the whole program, and I would have to go to school, to learn how to use it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Okay, I know what you are crating now...There are a lot of tricks in photoshop that may be helpful, but if the resolution is really low than there might not be anything anybody could really do. I'll know within a couple of minutes if it is doable or not and it really wouldn't take long. Just PM me and I can get up with you that way...lets see what we can do! I'm always looking to take a break from painting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Featherflies. I'm a photographer, may I ask what sort of camera you're using and if it has adjustable settings do you have it set for high resolution? If someone needs a high resolution you will need a camera that works on around 10 megapixels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Charlene, thanks for responding, and to be honest, I was just uploading some of my stuff to facebook via my smartphone, and I havn't taken any pics of my stuff with a "real"camera, because I don't have one. So, now, my daughter got a digital for christmas, and it is an 8 megapixel? will that be ok?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not sure of the settings on it,but I will read the book to see what I can do, but what about the type of file I am supposed to send? I read somewhere that a jpg. will be compressed? and the result will not be high in resolution? I am not very computer savvy,lol, I got my smartphone all figured out, from texting to uploading and calls and all, butI don't quite get the technical stuff

·
Registered
71 Posts
Featherflies, JPG (or actually JPEG) is acronym for Joint Photographic Experts Group. It is the most commonly used digital format for images. You will not lose any resolution from it being compressed. Software is set up to handle that. As far as the megapixels, the best thing to do would be to contact the publisher you are working with and see if 8 is high enough to be compatible for them. If they are making enlargements, the reason for needing a higher resolution is that it will not lose quality as it gets larger. Lower resolutions tend to get blurry or you can actually see the edges of the pixels the bigger it gets. Smartphones have fairly good cameras, but they are not professional grade. Also, if your publisher wants natural light you will need enough front lighting and a slow enough exposure so you will not be using a flash, which tends to "flood" the subject with light and sometimes does not show true colors, depending on the reflectivity of the subject. Exposure compensation can substitute for a slower speed if your daughter's camera has a setting for that. Best thing to do is play with it on different settings and see what you get. Remember anything slower than 1/8 second speed and you are probably going to need a tripod because your hand will shake. It's only human, very few people can take a slow speed exposure without one.
Hopefully I am explaining this to you so it is understandable and not too technical.
Have fun learning, and best of luck to you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Charlene, thank you so much, you have explained it clearer than anything that i have tried to absorb so far!, I was getting so frustrated, I have never done any of this, I have always sold my stuff locally, but, on a whim, I sent some pics, never dreamed I would get such an awesome response. So, now, thanks to you, I might be able to get this done. thanks again, Featherflies

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thats aweful Fireflies. You may have to have the images recaptured with a digital camera that is 10 megapixels or more. Good luck and welcome to the forum I'm new here too. I cant figure out how to view your feather images.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I figured out how to view your pictures and your work is AWESOME. What patience it has to take to sit and create something like that. Beautiful, I'm speechless!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
sherina, thanks,I guess it does take alot of patience to do my feathers, but I enjoy them so much, they are sort of an escape for me,not that my life is so bad because it isn't, lol, but I love to get lost in them,lol, thanks for your reply, and I am looking forward to seeing what art you do,that brought you here to this forum, thanks again, "featherflies":p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Morning feathereflies, as you can see I'm a very early riser. I totally can relate to what your saying about getting lost while you create. For me it's very relaxing. I've attached some of my work. I'm a pastelist. Nice chatting with you and make it a great day. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yen and yang

wow,I love your "stuff", I see that you have done "yen and yang", I just uploaded my "version"of them, in "Koi", come check it out!,lol, have a great day! Featherflies:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts