Artist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it important to have a consistent way of setting up your palette? I wasn't seeing much information on palette set up for acrylic paint so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the best way to go about doing it. Should I set it up my colors in order of hue or value or. . . . So any information on this would be a great help. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I'm a total beginner.

I tend to set mine up like this: White, Red, yellow, Orange, Blue, Purple and Black across the top of my pallet. This is what I see in most videos and it sometimes keeps me from dipping in to the wrong paint.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well depends on various variables such as your style, your subject etc.In acrylics I use a wider palette but with oils I just use a couple of basic colors then mix them up.I usually go from light to dark shades and think beforehand what tones/shades will I use in the project.A complex color wheel is always of help in setting up the exact colors.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Everyone sets up there pallet differently. I will only put on my pallet (paper plate) those colors that I know I will use. I can always add another if I need too. I'll mix up three values of each color. For shading I add the compliment color, and white to make the lighter value. Also since I work on a budget and oil paints are so expensive I put a little bit on my pallet at a time and add more if I need to as I am working.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice! It's sometimes so hard to sort through all the different opinions on line, when all I need to be told is I can really do it any way I feel is best!:laugh: So thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I didn't know so much thought was put into setting up a palette. I just put out the colors I will be using at that moment, since acrylic dries quickly I don't want to put on the palette more than I will use.

For a palette I use a shallow plastic box with a tight lid. I line it with a damp paper towel and put parchment paper over it on which I put the paint. If there's paint leftover I spray it with a fine mist and close the lid. That will keep the paint workable for a couple of days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a palette I use a shallow plastic box with a tight lid. I line it with a damp paper towel and put parchment paper over it on which I put the paint. If there's paint leftover I spray it with a fine mist and close the lid. That will keep the paint workable for a couple of days.
That is a great method! I always have trouble keeping my paint wet. I know you can buy a retardant, but it seems like their has to be a better way. :vs_closedeyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.