Artist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying I can't wait to start digging thru this place I'm into all sorts of trying new hobbies, And for the artistforum member Alias_216, I'm sorry n not trying to steal any names iv just been using this user name for everything and I'll be lucky if I can even remember leaving out the _ in the name.. anyway I'm just outta surgery from a car accident and have over a year of recovery time out of work and with this time I'd REALLY like to learn more about sketching. I usually pass time by drawing with just a pencil n sheet of fax paper, some times Airbrushing and painting with brushes. I just picked up some PrismaColor markers n pencils, but I just recently found out about PrismaColor blender witch I'd never seen B4 n like to learn more about. Ok my 1st question and main concern would be if you guys have any good books you'd recommend ?? Iv just picked up a few Walter Foster's Perspective, Colored Pencils and Pencil Drawing. Also Barron's Light and shadow in drawing and perspetive drawing. So far their really helpful but I didn't see any HowTo marker books at my local store if there are any helpful or must have books that you'v read yourself please let me know, any help will be gratefully. appreciated! after I get done with some of these I'd like to find out more about what paint to start playing with, not sure witch direction to go, I think Oil base is outta the question just because of my budget.... And again hello ArtistForum I can't wait to see more of the forum I'm sure there's ton's of good stuff here!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Alias, welcome to the forums and I am sure you will find yourself being lost in all of the artists work here.I have used the prismacolor pencils extensively for the past 30 plus years and is my choice of CP, even though I use other brands Prismacolor is my go to brand.

Here are some links that may be of interest to you...
http://coloredpencilmag.com/
http://www.annkullberg.com/
http://www.fivepencilmethod.com/?gclid=CPH3w6-Fz7cCFYLm7AodHlwAUA

Although I have the blenders from Prisma I rarely use them in my work but do find them useful in certain circumstances. PrismaColor are wax based pencils and will produce a wax bloom over time and will have to be fixed with varnish or spray fixative...I use spray varnish.

Great to have you here and look forward to seeing what you create and if you have any questions, I am sure the many artists here will be more than happy to answer them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WoW Thanks George! I really have to check those out, I didn't know about the blooming issues with wax based pencils, dose this happen on all of your drawings or just when your really packing color in one area? And how dose the varnish not destroy the paper or your sketch books?? I'm really going to have to check out those colored pencil sites. Iv used some of the clear coat rattle can's B4 when I airbrushed and used paint brushes with my airbrush paints on a friends metal mailbox. And with the PrismaColor blending markers iv seen someone mix 2 colors together on a plastic plate, They built up a little color from 2 different markers and with the blending marker created their own custom color, kinda cool. I'm not sure if you'd be able to make a lotta the same, consistent color like that but still kinda cool... I really have to find out more about wax base pencils, I really don't wanna spend hours on Somthing just to have it destroyed because I didn't varnish it.

PS its hard for me to post pics, everything Internet wise is done on my phone. But you could check out some of my work on instagram my user name is Alias_216

TJ

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome Alias216!

My, how a tragedy can be devastating for some and a sort of deliverance for others. Of course I wouldn't wish the accident you experienced on anyone, but I'm so proud of you for committing to making beauty from the ashes.

As per your thread topic, I suppose your must have books depends on your goals/preferred style...what do you like to draw? For comic book style (my thing), my 3 are How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way (Stan Lee), Dynamic Figure Drawing (Burne Hogarth) and Fantasy Art Techniques (Boris Vallejo).

But I think you get just as much or more from studying artists' works you like (which likely also have the themes/subject matter you like) and building from there. After all, it's easy to get burned out drawing/painting still lifes in a technical drawing book when you really want to draw creatures or landscapes...all the representational artbooks will drive you mad if your thing is abstract.

Possibly, in the end, the only 'must have' book essential to your arsenal just may be your sketchbook your journal documenting your journey into this latest season of your life.

Finally, @ The Great George...always a pleasure when you share your wisdom!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts