Artist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one!
My name is Meg and I joined this forum to get advice and learn new ideas for all things art! I am in my 20s, I love my animals/dogs/birds I enjoy a bit of gardening when my dogs don't eat my plants, I love photography, drawing, watercolour, creating!

I have so many ideas but I need more knowledge to make them happen!

So far I have never sold any artwork because I always become to attached to my work, I have had offers on some but not the ones I enjoy creating (usually painted)...

I mainly work with pens, lately I have been focusing on drawings using fine liners and these are becoming popular on my instagram account @megandruss
I usually do cartoon type drawings but have also been doing pictures of animals.
I have decided I want to try my luck selling some of my work - but now I need to learn the best ways to frame my work and the best paper/pens to use and then best places to try and get into the market. I would also like to put my artworks into jewellery (resin pendants etc) and on coasters and things so I am currently researching that ally.

today I have been trying to come up with a brand name... I keep researching and finding that people suggest you just use your full maiden name, but my last name "Bury" (B-you-ree) is hard to pronounce and thats why I am "megan victoria" on here because it is my middle name but I find it boring and I have been going through ideas and came up with "Meg & the Brown Dog" or "Brown Dog Art" ... I have others. just wanted to see what others thought.

there is my long intro!
nice to meet you!
Meg

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi Meg, great to see you on artist forum and hope you get out of the forum what you search for. Branding yourself is very important and is key for selling your work but also getting people familiar with what you create...so with that said start bouncing the ideas around and post your work and lets see what comes out of it. If you are working in the pens you would not have to sell your originals but just have some high quality reproductions printed up and sell that way.

The mediums and supports you work with should always be of artist grade quality...you do not want to get a reputation of work that fades and turns bad after only several years. Presentation is everything, Let me say that again...Presentation is everything, so with that said if you cannot learn to mat your own work get it professionally done, also know what you are talking about when you talk with potential clients (no strike that) when you talk with anyone about your artwork. What I mean is be comfortable talking about yourself and your art. Learn some social strategies of communication while talking with them...and never undersell your work...but in the same manner being not known for your work you also must know you will not get top dollar for your work quite yet, that is where your branding comes into play.

Let me go back to your statement of being attached to your work...This is how I want my clients to look at my artwork...ON THEIR WALLS!!! so with that said it is always good to keep a percentage of your artwork, so like I said earlier get some hi-resolution prints made and keep some of the prints.

I would not go with the artsy fartsy naming...I to had struggled with branding and names but unless you are a "painter of light" one of the strongest marketing gurus that has ever lived, it just won't work.

Artist Megan Victoria.......now that is classy, but that is just me...I like simple and to the point, easy for people to remember and it sounds really good when you say it out loud.

So anyway, welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing what's next...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply and feedback George! a lot to think about there :)
with the branding I guess I'm sick of hearing my own name but it doesn't mean others are.

I was wondering how I should sell my work re: sell originals or make copies... how do you go about doing that? the only way I have ever had things printed is through photo printing places, would you have copies printed on nice textured paper somewhere?

I am excited about getting this started! Megan Victoria... I will upload some work soon, my art is more cute and silly so I'm not sure I want it to sound classy... I also had the idea for the name Meg & Russ (Russell is my dog whom I am very close to haha)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts