Artist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive started painting in oil, but even using a fast dry medium with it, its stickyish and it is not moving across the paper ok, I havent done oil before so I am new to it, ive prepared the paper and primed it,. Its annoying me as I cannot do it without globby paint strokes. Am I putting too much medium in the paint or should i put less, it is sticky in texture, I cannot fluently paint with the paints, and it ends up liney, and thick when I do a stroke when I come to the edge, so a clump of paint builds up.!

· Registered
44 Posts
I’m not an expert with oil paints, but I do remember what an art teacher once said about it.

Essentially, you’re only meant to use a small amount of the paint at a time, and even then I remember the oil paints being watered down with something (though I’m afraid I don’t remember what, hopefully someone else can chip in).

Apparently, you’re supposed to build up the oil paints onto your chosen canvas very slowly, with a thin layer by layer kind of process. Somewhat like watercolour, I assume.

· Registered
24 Posts
I'm no expert either but I'm getting better , I don't use mediums at all as I'm blocking it in just a ton of mineral spirits . the biggest improvement iv made myself is just working thin to thick and keeping that paint ultra thin as I go .

· Registered
Digital art, editing, the likes
59 Posts
Hi ive started painting in oil, but even using a fast dry medium with it, its stickyish and it is not moving across the paper ok, I havent done oil before so I am new to it, ive prepared the paper and primed it,. Its annoying me as I cannot do it without globby paint strokes. Am I putting too much medium in the paint or should i put less, it is sticky in texture, I cannot fluently paint with the paints, and it ends up liney, and thick when I do a stroke when I come to the edge, so a clump of paint builds up.!
wish I could help but all my arts digital cuz I'm just like that, but no seriously, hope you can find some help

· Registered
1 Posts
Essentially, you’re only intended to apply a small quantity of the paint at a time, and even then i keep in mind the oil paints being watered down with some thing (even though i’m afraid i don’t don't forget what, optimistically someone else can chip in).

· Registered
54 Posts
I paint with oils. Sticky? Is that exactly what you mean? Can you provide a better description?
Oil paints are predominately thinned with refined linseed oil. Thinning with mineral spirits degrades the pigment's binder (linseed oil in 98% of the cases). It's the binder which holds the paint together. Commercially available paint mediums can be helpful in some cases, but use these, if at all, sparingly. Do you know about "oiling out" a canvas or other support before applying oil paint?
Read about "impasto" type oil painting.
Use the tip end of your brushes to begin with. Remembering, you're applying a thinner paint layer rather than a thicker layer of color...thick paint application comes later, it's a different technique.
Make sure you're using oil paints thinned with linseed oil rather than a water base oil paint which can be sticky and hard to manage. There is a wax based oil paint too. All three are applied differently.
Last word: Cheap paints are much, much, much harder to manage, but the most expensive aren't necessary.

· Registered
22 Posts
Everybody so far has it right when they say you are using it too thickly, I always use white spirit to thin the colour before applying it. Don't go too thickly to start build up and only use it thickly to show highlights on your painting for the very lightest of patches.
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts