Artist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I did something stupid! I thought I could use acrylic matte medium as a top coat and sealer for my painting but I applied too much and it dried with paint marks/ridges and also very dull :(

I made it for a friend who likes matte/satin sheens, not glossy, and I thought it would work well as a sealant.

Well now I want to varnish it, but I'm worried that adding Satin varnish over it will make it even more dull!
I think I can live with the ridges, but I don't want to make it appear any more dull, and I ALSO want to protect it and bring back the brightness of the colours with some varnish to make it clearer/brighter.

A: Is there any way to sand/ wet sand/ remove some of the top layer of matte medium i added without causing the varnish I add afterwards to look cloudy or otherwise ruin the paint?

B: If I just put satin varnish overtop of this matte medium top coat, will it make it look worse and more dull? Or will it still help bring out someone the colours vibrancy? Sort of counter-act the matte I put on it already?

C: Can I use one coat of clear varnish and then one coat of satin varnish? Or do both coats need to be the same sheen in order to turn out OK?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I don't want to ruin this painting and I've never done vanish or maybe medium before 😥

Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hard to say without actually seeing it. I wouldn't sand it and I would avoid any oil-based varnish. Actually a matte finish lets stronger colors come through. But to get where you want to go, I would get a spray can of something like Krylon acrylic satin spray varnish or MinWax polycrylic water-based satin varnish which is brush-on. Just a light coat. You can find these at art stores, hardware stores, or online. I personally use Krylon matte.
Don't sand it. Just spray on or brush on a light coat of satin over the matte - Just test it on one corner, not the whole painting.. It won't affect the colors. They just change the light reflection of the surface. Good Luck :) Go outside to spray, the odors are strong.
(If none of this works, then you might resort to light sanding)
One more thought: sanding is aggressive, first try some very fine 0000 steel wool dipped in water and go over it gently. That might polish, or remove enough medium, to solve the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.