Artist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I am not a super serious artist, but I feel like I get more and more serious about it as I get better. I like to dabble with a number of different mediums, but I would say my main interests are photography, digital drawing, and drawing with graphite pencils. I don't consider myself very good, but I could be worse! I've definitely gotten better since I started though. I don't practice as much as I'd like to, but it can be hard to find the time with school, a part time job, and five animals to take care of. I also have too many hobbies! But I keep coming back to drawing, so I think it's something I'll be doing for a long time and I'm trying to make more time for it. Hopefully I find some help and motivation on this site!

·
Registered
Abstract acrylic and oil painting
49 Posts
Hi

Welcome aboard. Drawing, painting, photography, etc. are like any other skill. The more practice the better we develop our skills. It takes time but as long as you enjoy it, the learning becomes more interesting. As a child, I started watercolour painting, then moved to photography and later to digital drawing. I then ended up with abstract painting, oils and acrylics. No matter how busy, I always make sure to find the time to paint because it’s simply my own time.

To make the practice a learning development, I would focus on one particular subject. For example, if I wanted to learn to draw eyes, I would just do that many times, over and over again.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Welcome aboard. Drawing, painting, photography, etc. are like any other skill. The more practice the better we develop our skills. It takes time but as long as you enjoy it, the learning becomes more interesting. As a child, I started watercolour painting, then moved to photography and later to digital drawing. I then ended up with abstract painting, oils and acrylics. No matter how busy, I always make sure to find the time to paint because it’s simply my own time.

To make the practice a learning development, I would focus on one particular subject. For example, if I wanted to learn to draw eyes, I would just do that many times, over and over again.

Keep up the good work.
Thank you!

Yes, I would say my weakness is not sticking with one thing long enough. I tend to lose interest after doing something for a while and jump around a bit. I can jump from practicing eyes to practicing hair and then I stop drawing altogether and only do photography for a while... I'm trying to learn to focus more and stick with what I'm working on.

·
Registered
Abstract acrylic and oil painting
49 Posts
Hi

I know the feeling. I’ve been there before and I used to get frustrated. But then I decided to focus on just certain elements to master and do the best I can and keep on improving. Every time I made an improvement, it was enough to motivate me to keep going. Learning just to draw eyes from different angles, for example, was something I wanted not just to learn but master. Then moved on to drawing the nose, lips and overall proportions of the face.

Slowly but surely, it started to progress from the eyes to a full face and then to a complete figurative drawing. Kept on going to draw from different angles and this is when you begin to really enjoy drawing and create different challenges for yourself.

The beginning was hard and took me several weeks. But then the learning process becomes really very interesting and enjoyable.

We all desire to draw or paint a complete picture, but we forget or maybe we are in a rush to learn how to draw each element that makes up the full drawing.

Photography helped me to learn more about recreating the same in drawing, but also taught me a great deal about shadows to create a 3-D drawing.

Knowing what exactly needs improving is a key to improving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello.

Hi

I know the feeling. I’ve been there before and I used to get frustrated. But then I decided to focus on just certain elements to master and do the best I can and keep on improving. Every time I made an improvement, it was enough to motivate me to keep going. Learning just to draw eyes from different angles, for example, was something I wanted not just to learn but master. Then moved on to drawing the nose, lips and overall proportions of the face.

Slowly but surely, it started to progress from the eyes to a full face and then to a complete figurative drawing. Kept on going to draw from different angles and this is when you begin to really enjoy drawing and create different challenges for yourself.

The beginning was hard and took me several weeks. But then the learning process becomes really very interesting and enjoyable.

We all desire to draw or paint a complete picture, but we forget or maybe we are in a rush to learn how to draw each element that makes up the full drawing.

Photography helped me to learn more about recreating the same in drawing, but also taught me a great deal about shadows to create a 3-D drawing.

Knowing what exactly needs improving is a key to improving.
I definitely do have issues with getting frustrated quickly, but I agree that when you improve it is very motivating. Different angles have been a weakness of mine.

I definitely relate to wanting to draw a complete picture and get into too much of a rush. I get a picture in my head that I want to create, but then I can't and, of course, that leads to frustration and wanting to give up. I think I'm getting better about this, but it's still a work-in-progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts