Artist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow glad to see that I'm not the only one with this particular sickness! Some really interesting stuff here - I look forward to hanging out.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much chandra. I'm a fan of your stuff as well.
Glad I found this place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yo Jeff...

Very cool stuff. :)

Is it Pointillism? Looking closer it seems you've used a textured paper? And looking closer still, it appears that you've laid out some lines with a dry stylus before you began finishing??? Or maybe a combination of the three?

Do tell...

Oh yeah, Welcome.

-

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jus!

I'm doing pencil on canvas. I've been using the canvas mounted on boards so the surface is hard enough to darken. Several different softness of leads, but I'm really loving the textures I can get just using a regular old #2 pencil. I have used a non-print purple pencil to lay out grids just for reference. Sure am having fun!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey! I'm learning new stuff already! (had to google pointillism) heh.

Not really pointillism by design, as much as I realized that human skin is generally kinda spotty, and ran with it. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well... you're runnin down the right street, bro.

-

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx again dude. Wow i like your stuff too. Dr Suess tribute is super cool.
Heres Maynard. I did use paint shop to fix the background and improve contrast. is that cheating? oh well.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have to go to charcoal. Unless I can find a way to scan a big board with canvas on it. Pencil is too damn shiny + hard to light for a reproduction.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jeff... Great work as always.

As to the punk rocker question. Computer work is not cheating. However, bad computer work applied to an exceptional piece is... well, unnecessary at best.

The masking edges are obvious and distracting. There are two better ways to get the desired result.

1. Bone up on your masking. Magnify closer, and take half a day. When you delete, experiment with different feathering. (SAVE YOUR MASK WHEN YOU'RE DONE. BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE)

2. Select the area to be altered and copy/paste it onto a new layer under main the layer. Shrink the selection by 1-2 pixels, feather the selection by 1-2 pixels and delete the selected area from the top layer. Now make a third layer under all three. Fill this layer with what you want. I would start with 50% gray. Now, experiment with the layer settings/styles and opacity on the middle layer (the one you pasted onto) until the bottom layer comes through in a satisfying matter. You can try to turn off the middle layer and see if it gets right. But you're prolly gonna need it to help with edging. Though you can pull the opacity way back until it's just enough to mask the edging.

Anyway... The piece is inspiring. The computer work is, well... less than that.

-

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks Jus-

Yep Id prefer to use no photoshop at all, I just cant seem to get the right lighting to take a quality digital pic without the pencil reflecting. I completely agree that I overdid the maynard one, (I tried to use the brightness/ contrast adjuster to make it pop.) Certainly a high wire walk when it comes to using photoshop to fix for reproducing.

I might even consult a professional photographer to get good images of these when Im done. I'll post the original Maynard when I get a chance just so you can see the orig. The small ones like little Walter are easy- just scan!

And yep you busted me- I spent days on the drawing then minutes on photoshop. Doh. :)
Thanks for the help/ info brotha.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
TY Angel.
Jeez it's one thing to hear kudos from Gus the UPS guy :) but when artists who do KILLER stuff compliment you... definitely puts wind behind the pencil. Im gonna dig this place. Can we curse here? (I do suffer from tourettes from time to time hehe.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I might even consult a professional photographer to get good images
Scan them... works better than a photo.

Kinko's is way cheaper than a photog.

And another WOW for Mr. Lennon.

-

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scan them... works better than a photo.

Kinko's is way cheaper than a photog.

And another WOW for Mr. Lennon.

-
thx man

yep i paid kinkos to do my first ones, but Ive gone to bigger boards and they only have 'roller' style scanner for bigger originals and the board\pencil mix wont go through (unscathed anyway). :(

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, love your work, Jeff, especially the one of Lennon. I never would have thought to draw on canvas, may have to try that. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts