Artist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys super stoked to be a part of this online community:D..I'm extremely new to drawing and trying to learn the absolute basics and fundamentals so I was wondering if any of you more experienced artists could lend me a hand? I'm just not sure what exactly i should be practicing or what i should try learning first...any and all feedback is greatly appreciated:) and sorry if i should've asked for help in a different forum section, this seemed like the best spot.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Welcome! The main thing I can suggest is to just draw, draw, draw and draw some more. Draw everything you can. Even if it's something as simple as a pencil. Focus on shapes and shadows. Don't start with anything difficult. The more you draw the better you will get. Keep a sketch pad with you at all times and if something strikes your fancy whip it out and sketch it out. I used to have a pocket sized sketch book that I took around with me everywhere.

Make sure to set aside time to draw pictures of things that interest you as well. If you are really interested in improving then set aside a little time each and every day to draw - even if it is only 15 minutes or half an hour. Even that little bit will help.

What I like to do is draw - then pull back and take a picture of my work and look at the photograph I took. For whatever reason when I do that I find the flaws a lot easier because I tend to get so engrossed when I am drawing that I don't see them. Backing away and looking at your work through a new set of eyes does help as well.

I am sure others will have better advice. I am mostly self taught (had a couple years of college education years ago but that's it). Most of what I have learned I have learned through trial and error, lots and lots of mistakes, and learning from other people. I say dive in and don't be afraid. You will make mistakes, you will have pieces you don't like and you will have unfinished pieces. Its ALL a part of the learning process. I take away something from every single picture I draw.

Good luck! Do you have some pictures you have recently done?

WELCOME! Glad to have you here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sooo much for the awesome reply!..i'll definitely try to start finding the time to draw everyday. As of right now, i dont have any pictures of anything i've done (as i said i'm extremely new and just barely getting started) i should hopefully have time to work on something tonight and if my wifi is working then i'll upload a pic so i can get some feedback...once again thank you sooo much for the welcome and the advice! :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Chanda nailed it. There is no substitute for good old fashioned hard work. I too am a beginner, I started drawing in February and am now at around 340 drawings and paintings. I am self taught, but can't really claim that. I learn from everything I see, every artwork I observe, every piece of advice I've recieved. In a total art vaccuum I would barely be doing pertogliphs.
One thing I have learned is the power of observation. Learn to see everything as it really is, and draw or paint it. Then work on interpreting what you see with your own special filter. Best wishes for a grand life in art!

·
Registered
33 Posts
What the others have posted.

Draw.

Do you have a favorite subject matter or maybe a hobby that captures your imagination? Draw it. Being enthusiastic about something encourages the artistic endeavor.

·
Registered
670 Posts
There are really two catagories of drawing: subjects that you see and those in your imagination. If you are that new to drawing, stick with the former for awhile. The very first thing that should be mastered is a circle. after that a sphere. Learning to make it look realistic with highlights and shadows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts