Artist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to you all,

I just recently became a member of this forum and I've really enjoyed lurking around the various threads here.

I usually work in 3-dimensional multi-media miniatures of southwestern style structures, but also paint 2-D acrylic on stone or ceramic landscapes.

I'm going to attempt to post an image of one of the miniatures here on this intro...here goes

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like your miniatures, I like to photograph miniatures. I enjoy the illusion of it sometimes if it's really good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and Good Day to everyone that replied as well as anyone else,

I thought I'd post more of my shots of this particular piece I've been working on.

A few comments should precede the photos, so here goes;

Except for some minor details (like the wheels and a few of the tools) every thing is built up from raw materials. The masonry walls are hand carved in plaster, the wood was all cut on a special table saw, the windows and doors are built up from thin plexiglas and individual pieces of wood, the scenery base is actual New Mexico soils, the coloring of the structure was executed using India Inks and Acrylic paints, the corrugated tin is card stock run through a paint tube squeezer and then painted to look like rusting metal, the wood walls are framed accurately and then planked with age distressed boards, and even the lamp fixtures are made from upholstry button covers with tubing and miniature bulbs that will work when I'm finished. The scale is slightly smaller than dollshouse size, which is 1inch = 1foot, this being 7/8ths inch = 1foot. It is a commissioned piece for a person who is into trains of that size.

I hope this gives you some idea of the scope of the work involved in this project.

Thanks for the comments and the welcome and enjoy the photos,

GW

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
constructing your miniatures is an art in itself, and it takes a lot of skill and detail. You do it very well! I've done some miniatures, but I have more patience for photographing them than I do for making them.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Welcome to the group fellow New Mexican! Nice to see you - not often you find two New Mexicans on the same website. Really cool work you do!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Greetings Chanda,

Where in NM are you? Your Graphites are well done, they really capture the essence of our area.

GW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Charlene,

Your piccies are very nice, I am of late from Oregon myself and recognise several locations in your work.

Thanks for the compliments,

GW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again,

Just got this from my 11 year old Grand Daughter. No training... self taught, gets it from grampa and my son, I guess!

GW

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Greetings Chanda,

Where in NM are you? Your Graphites are well done, they really capture the essence of our area.

GW
Thanks! I live south of Grants but was raised on the flatlands of Eastern New Mexico...have a ranch in the center of the state. Got it all covered. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts