Artist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is a question about what is normal when it comes to canvas texture in certain lights. It’s quite specific and I haven’t yet found a similar situation on the internet!!

So I’ve been working on a huge acrylic commission on canvas for which I purchased a massive piece of canvas from Blick that came folded not rolled.

once stretched, there was a fold line still subtly showing which I thought I could just paint over. Unfortunately it’s still there in glancing light. I’ve restretched it now that it’s painted to get a really good stretch. I’ve wet the fold and ironed it a few times and Ive layered more paint. In proper art lighting it’s not visible but in some lights it is (the same as paint texture really and brush marks in places). Is this a big deal or not if I’m in discussions with the client about lighting the art? Should I bring it up?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Best to mention it and show them to let them decide. Better than disappointing a customer. Reputation is everything. Be prepared to have to buy a new piece of canvas preferably off a roll. You can always use the other one for smaller paintings so nothing is lost

·
Registered
Abstract acrylic and oil painting
65 Posts
Wetting and ironing usually work to get rid of a fold in a canvas before applying gesso and acrylic or oil paints. After wetting and ironing the back of the canvas and while it’s still damp and warm, place the canvas face down on a clean flat surface and place heavy flat weights on top of the fold. Leave it to dry overnight.

You will need to be careful how you apply the above method if you have already painted your canvas with acrylics as it may affect any painting texture you created in your painting.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts