Artist Forum banner

First Attempt at a Rattlesnake

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Eddieblz 
#1 ·
This is my first drawing of a rattlesnake. My momma said that I should make the snake thicker but I want to know what you guys think.

It's got the cats eyes, pits for sensing heat, undivided belly scales(That is where I drew just a curved horizontal line), and the rattle. It looks like it is either going to rattle a warning or strike.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am proud of it. Especially since I didn't look at a picture of a rattlesnake in the same position as I was drawing it, just using my memory of what a rattlesnake looks like when it is about to rattle a warning or strike.

It can be hard to get the slight taper of a snake when it is coiled.

And this drawing has 3 layers. The first one is just my no. 2 pencil with the shape and all the scales. The nostrils, pits, and eyes were also drawn with my no. 2 pencil. The second one is a tan color that I used for the whole snake. The third one is the darker diamonds that I drew on top of the tan color(So I had to press a little harder to get the diamonds to be visible).

#7 ·
Yeah like what each subspecies looks like, what rattlesnakes look like in different positions(like slithering towards prey vs striking) etc.

But using my memory works too because I have a great long term memory and so I remember the basics of what a rattlesnake looks like in the strike position(Since that is the most common position I have seen rattlesnakes in and probably the most common position for a rattlesnake)

What I remember is something like this:

"Basic snake coiled up but with triangular head, pits, cats eyes, undivided belly scales, and of course a rattle at the end of its tail"

And then I remember that most rattlesnakes are tan colored with some darker diamonds or spots.

#9 ·
I think you did a very nice job for your first attempt! Please keep at it. I would encourage you to draw both from memory and from images. I think in doing so you will continue to grow and improve as an artist. Being able to draw, and draw well, from memory is an amazingly wonderful skill to have so please keep honing that skill. It doesn't hurt from time to time just to have something to reference as well. I do and find that it helps me quite a bit with proportions and such.

I agree with everybody that you should be proud of this. For a first attempt you have done quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.