Artist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Hope all is well with you.

Here is a little painting I'm working on. It measures 5 1/2" x 11 1/2" acrylic on gray slate.

I'll be adding silhouettes of some hills and trees in the foreground, it should be interesting. I will post another photo when completed.

Thanks for viewing and have a great day!

Karen

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice use of shading, light/dark contrast - it has a feeling of depth and definition that appeals to me. Almost feels like you could reach in and grab those clouds somehow.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Wow! That is a great painting. It looks like an Arizona sunset. They get bright red.

You had mentioned that you had troubles with capturing clouds. I have a couple of tips that would make them look more realistic. I will share them with you if you would like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any guidence would help a great deal, thank you for offering the help.

I'll be painting off and on throughout the winter. Sky's and clouds will be my project to "TRY" mastering.

Karen

·
Registered
670 Posts
1. You MUST have a true realistic sorce of light.

This is true in everything that is to look real. Remember where the light is comming from in the picture. You have a couple of spots that are not looking like they are being lit from the angle where the sun is.

2. Darker the clouds means thicker.

A cloud or two are too dark.

3. The sun breaks through the edges in a ray.

Remember 1 and 2 when painting the ray.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much to the helpfull advise.

I'm usually pretty good with light sources and shadow. I will look the painting over again and fix the light angle in a few spots.

I have to dig the painting out, it's packed away in a tub. I had a show last Saturday and it was on display.

Karen

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for the nice compliment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow. That was very creative. At first, I was trying to imagine what it would have been. With the finished painting, I think you captured the angle very well. Would a lighter shade of black make the sunlight come out better? All I know is that it made me stop and think and that is what I like in paintings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The foreground is a silhouette so I painted it black. In the original there is some gray but you can't see it in the pic. I'm thinking of painting a larger tree more forward. What do you think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts