Artist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I’ve made some adjustments to the piece I’m working on as a gift for my lady friend. Can’t see what I’m missing or perhaps over-doing? But any advice would be greatly appreciated. Still a silly old newbie! Ethel’s birthday is rapidly approaching and I’m starting to regret taking this on.
Thanks, Hamish.
Glasses Cheek Smile Chin Human body

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think you are making the classic mistake of positioning the features incorrectly. The bigest mstake which makes it look wrong is that in real life the eyes are half way down the front of the face. In yours they are only a third of the way down giving it an unatural look.
Secondly you have tried to draw individual hairs and made them too thick so they look like thick string. If you look at the photo you cant make out individual hairs. Instead focus on getting the shadows and highlights correct.
The colour of the skin also needs adjusting, It looks too grey and needs more orange and red in it.
Also the breasts are a little bit in your face. But maybe thats what you wante to achieve :)

·
Registered
Watercolor and colored pencil
68 Posts
I think you need to start over, it's not something to be ashamed of though. Many artists start over. I'll give you some directions if you want to follow them.
1. Turn down picture opacity and on another lay layer trace. Tracing is not bad if you are beginning a certain subject in drawing, it helps you learn in your case, how to navigate the face.
2. Under your sketch layer block in all the colors
3.then add soft shadows
4.then add highlights
5. Add details including sharp shadows and sharp highlights.
Between every step flip the canvas :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really can’t thank you all enough for the tips. Such a brilliant community of artists.
I started again and followed your steps and advice and am blown away by how much its improved what I was doing. Hard to compare it to the original attempt now! Having a photo reference for the face was so much better, I could basically trace it on the iPad. The body still looks a bit off I think, the perspective is a bit funny but I can’t get it right. Any tips for bodys? (I have no reference). I think that’s the final touch that needs doing and then I can surprise her with it! Thanks all, H :)
Nose Cheek Smile Eye Human body

·
Administrator
109 Posts
I think you need to stop and focus on some other way to impress your new lady friend.
Did ya'll just meet on the internet and you haven't met in person yet ?
Paint her a boquet of flowers in her favorite colors and send that to her instead of a portrait if you want your romance to blossom. With your over exageration of body parts, you are doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
Watercolor and colored pencil
68 Posts
I think the breast is too large compared to the photo, you might want to direct the attention to the face. You have improved so much! The face is so beautiful, and perfect, I would make that the focus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts