Artist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been admiring Jeff’s work since my first day here. I know he uses pencil on canvas so I thought I give it a try too. I bought a package of three 11x14 canvas with cardboard backing and gave it a shot. It was an immediate fiasco. Whenever I tried to erase anything it would only smudge and the harder I erased the darker, deeper the smudge would get. I tried kneaded and vinyl erasers. I had to jump ship and go back to a bristle type paper. How do you guys do it? Was I supposed to prime the canvas first? Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi Sean,

I use them right out of the package- gesso'd canvas primed? something like that. ...the only erasers that Ive had success with are the pink ones. the white ones p'd me off- didnt do squat. hope that helps :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only used kneaded and vinyl. I'll check it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
DLeeG, I have never heard that before. Is that your own perception or is it an accepted standard in the world of drawing? If the later, that would be pretty tough for me. I think I use my kneaded eraser more than my pencils.

on edit: I use graphite powder occasionally and then apply the kneaded eraser for contrast. How else would I get that effect without an eraser?

·
Registered
670 Posts
It is what I was taught without being told the reason. However, I come to realise that it has given me more control. I have been able to judge proportion and shape better. A lot of my earlier works were messes though. Also the graphite drawings look better if they never have any erase marks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I could give it a shot and see how it goes. I've tried to teach myself to never say never (wow, that was an oxymoron) and that most things are not black and white. I like to leave some space for creativity and also correction. I appreciate your comments, they make me look at things a tad different than I usually do. Funny, it took me four decades to learn that not everyone thinks the way I do.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang DLeeG, couldn't do it. Not even close. Yet, I do think now before erasing, which is at least a conscience effort that didn't exist before. I was reading some of your prior posts and you mentioned that one should spend six months on a drawing. If I did that, and did not erase, my drawing would be pitch black ;). Also, one day I would like to venture into colored pencil, but reading Chanda's post, those colored pencils are really tough to erase. Anyway your point is taken and thanks for responding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts