Artist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Please can someone give me some advice on how to improve my painting style.. this is my natural style, how I paint without thinking about it and have always painted this way, but I'm wondering how to improve my style.

I wonder sometimes if there's too much detail and not enough 'looseness' in the style.

This is an example of what I paint in oils:
Hair Art Paint Creative arts Long hair

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is a superb portrait. IF any improvement can be made, it might be to increase the contrast between background and yellow shoulder in lower left corner.

The only way I know to improve style is to practice, especially styles that are difficult for the artist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a superb portrait. IF any improvement can be made, it might be to increase the contrast between background and yellow shoulder in lower left corner.

The only way I know to improve style is to practice, especially styles that are difficult for the artist.
Thank you. Yes, I wondered about the contrast. Someone else commented that it needs more depth, by maybe making the darks a little darker in places so that the features pop more and the painting has more life and I agree.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe to help loosen up, only use larger brushes or as I have found, try a palette knife, I found it gave me a completely different approach to painting. Or try acrylics work fast and don’t blend - just keep experimenting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts