Artist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I got pretty busy with other things so haven't posted progress but managed to finish my kudu clay today and am posting the pics now. I had finished (I thought) a couple days ago (first pic) but the legs were bothering me. They were a tad too short it seemed. So I tore it all apart from the knees down, sliced it at the knees, took away the base and resculpted the lower legs and hooves, made them only 1/4 inch longer but enough to make a difference. Ended up with a thinner base but it works. Hate tearing something apart when I thought it was done! Better to change it in clay, though, than to be sorry you didn't when it's in bronze! Off to the foundry it's going to go in a couple days; they'll do a mold then cast. I won't get my hands back on it until November, most likely. At that time it'll be in metal and I'll go check it out, make sure all is as it should be (rarely is it without issues that need fixing), oversee any metal work adjustments that need to be done, then instruct my desired patina, then comes the basing. I'll post foundry pics in a few months!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll be watching too... Interested in techniques. You're using clay but said bronze so assuming you'll paint the bronze color. Not real metal which would require lost-wax or molding. Since you're using earth clay will you fire it? Will the pipe create a prob? Guess I'll find out, eh?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Odd... The final pics posted at the same time as my comments a moment ago.
Anyway, so you use a foundry for molding. The piece came out well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Kudu bronze, start to finish

thank you for the great comments! Yes, I'm taking it to a foundry for mold and casting, lost wax method. I use an oil based clay, never dries out and can be reworked at any time if needed. It's a commission so I'll do two, one for the buyer and one for me. The patina will be an interesting one to do..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Describe to the folks the process, kiddo, cuz many have no idea what lost wax is or the making of a mold capable of withstanding molten metal. They'll love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorin, I provided a link a few weeks back describing the lost wax method of casting as well as the mold making. It does a good job of giving information about the whole process from clay to bronze. The link is http://www.modernsculpture.com/bronze.htm. Thank you so much for the interest! I'm going to title it Grey Ghost of Africa; the kudu is aptly referred to as the Grey Ghost because of it's remarkable ability to disappear quietly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
kudu bronze, start to finish

Thank you Bushcraftonfire! Good to be back; it's been a busy summer so far. Just got back from the foundry, kudu is now in their capable hands. Due to their work load it won't be in bronze until late January! Oh well, I have another sculpture idea swimming around in my head and hope to start on it soon. I'll post progress on that one, too, but I feel like taking a few days off....I hope to post something next month!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thank you, Erilia; I made the horns out of Sculpy, first time I've used the stuff. The rest I used my usual oil base clay...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
karliejaye, oil based clay will melt if too warm; as a matter of fact, I soften it up by putting it in an electric skillet on the warm setting. When it's cooled off, it hardens and detail can be applied. So my sculptures aren't fired, they're molded at the foundry. I used Sculpy on the horns because I knew I had to do lots of detail while handling them. Excessive warmth from my hands destroys detail with my oil based clay so Sculpy was a better option. I made the horns starting with a wire then added the Sculpy clay, being sure to leave over an inch exposed at the bottom for mounting purposes. I then baked the horns in my oven at a low temperature for several minutes which made them hard enough to carve and even use my dremmel. After I finished with the detail on the horns I mounted them by sticking the exposed wire into the skull. There are no dumb questions, by the way! Lol! One can't know unless they ask! :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts