Artist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I promised a while ago that when I began my next sculpting project, I'd post my progress. I've just started now and am posting the armature and first application of clay. I'll continue to post periodically as the sculpture develops all the way through to the end product, the bronze. Hope this is interesting to some..

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kudu

Yes! I didn't think they had gone through! That's the armature and first clay; have a long long way to go but this is the beginning..

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
This is wonderful work Kristikay. I have no idea how you can do something like that. I mean build up a clay statue from a frame like that. It is going to be fun to watch your progress on this.

I think David (Bushcraftonfire) took your photos from your album and loaded them to his post, the ones that you uploaded with your post did not come through.

Maybe we can help you figure out why they didn't load when you tried to post them. Which method did you use -- the picture icon or the 'manage attachments' link?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Reposted kudu

TerryCurley, I think the problem was that my pictures were too large so I had to resize them, make them smaller. I reposted and added the smaller pictures, all looks fine now. Thanks so much for your help! And thanks to everybody who has commented! I havn't worked on the kudu since I did the armature and first clay application. I've been so busy with other things but will continue next week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kudu bronze, start to finish

Finally got back to my clay today, 2nd session working on my kudu. All together probably have put six hours into it so far with putting together the armature and two clay sittings. Today I did a little refining, adding clay, taking away clay...and will continue adding and taking away until it's a kudu! Referring to photos a lot since I've never seen a kudu in person so am trying to get it right. There will be lots of changes made to what you see in this photo since it's a work in progress. Lol! No sculpting tomorrow, root canal day!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kudu bronze, start to finish

Yes, the clay is pliable but hard, of course, when it's cool. I warm it up in an electric skillet, can have it from liquid to hard so there's a certain temp I like to set it at for different uses. Anyway, once i wasn't using my brain and set a finished clay, ready to mold, on the dashboard of my truck while I went in to visit my son and it was a hot day.... When I got back to my truck my precious sculpture was almost a puddle! Duh..wasn't thinking; oil based clay, hot truck... I was able to salvage most of it but it was back to the drawing board..or sculpture stand...for me!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Kudu bronze, start to finish

Susan Mulno, I use my clay when its soft but also use it when hard; it depends. There are times that I would use the Clay at room temperature for smoothing or for adding fine detail. It's good to use soft when you're adding large amounts. Best work on detail when it's hard…

1 - 20 of 42 Posts