Artist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a new project and am going to post photos as I did before with the kudu. I've had two sittings with the clay so far. The first photo is the armature, right after that I applied clay on the same day. Second sitting was adding more clay and adjusting. This part of the process is usually a battle; me versus the vision. Putting on clay, taking away clay, adjusting armature, re-adjusting armature, cutting sections and stretching out or pushing together, etc., etc! My eye will tell me when something's not right, it'll make me feel very uncomfortable. Until I figure out what part of it isn't right, I'm uneasy; might end up leaving it for a while. Often fixing a problem causes another problem and fixing that problem causes another problem and so on. I'd like to chuck the clay out the window sometimes but that's when I go do something else. Perseverance and patience are a part of sculpting, at least it is with me. So the battle goes on and I know that fighting through this part will give me desired results. Isn't that true for everything worthwhile? Anyway, the vision is of a ranch horse being very patient with a young boy who is trying to climb up into the saddle. If the horse can be patient, so can I! Hahaha! As soon as I get the horse's conformation right, I'll work on musculature, etc., then the saddle, details on the horse an saddle, then the boy. I have a name for it and will reveal that when I'm done!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorin, unlike a water-based clay, the clay I use needs no re-wetting since its oil based and never dries out. Water-based clay you can fire but an oil-based clay will melt when exposed to extremely high temps so the only thing you can do with it is to mold it or just leave it as a clay sculpture. I used water-based clays before and I know they need "watering"; I love the clay I use, I can put it away for months and forget about it, come back to it and still rework it. It's called Classic Clay but there are lots of other oil-based clays out there that are great, too...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clay to bronze

I’m sorry I didnt keep this thread going...I finished my clay and it’s been in bronze for over three years now, LoL! I’m attaching a couple finished clay pics and bronze pics...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts