Artist Forum banner

Best Graphics Pad For Drawing

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Eddieblz 
#1 ·
What would be the best graphics pad for drawing digital images? Bear in mind I am looking for a fairly cheap model, however suggestions for low to middle of the range models would be appreciated. I am looking to draw mainly cartoon images for online games if that helps your decision.

#7 ·
Hello Lauralight!

If I misunderstand your question the failure is all mine.
As I (think I) understand you, any wacom tablet can be used for painting (digitally, of course). The key is the program. For semi-realistic painting physics, one I've dabbled with is ArtRage. Mind you, even I know a stylus doesn't handle like a paintbrush, its tip unlike bristles. Well, the demo is free. Technically, my first use of a wacom was Zbrush, a then faux paz 2D modelling app.

#9 ·
I would rather paint on a pad then draw. Unsure if program allow for erasing of paint? I certainly hope so. I'll have to be sure to take the beg. Acrylic paint course at the university if I get the chance in preparation.
Acrylic is awesome! Hope you get a great instructor who can work with you to get the most possible out of the course.

If you're taking a traditional media course, digital will not help, substitute or supplement; I'm unaware of there being a stylus which can even come close to the tactile, organic experience or spontaneous flow and sensation of paint to canvas.

In terms of 'erasing' (back to digital talk with a tablet such as wacom), yes, you can choose a hard eraser thag will wipe the area you use it clear down to the canvas or a 'soft' eraser that will gradually remove the paint (technically just incrementally reducing the opacity) on the active layer.

I don't know your experience level with computer graphics..I'd hate to confuse you! :)

#13 ·
I started out with the Wacom Bamboo Create. I figured that if I'm going to spend the money I might as well start with a top level device. I love it. I might suggest, before going to the store and putting out the money for a new pad. Check on Craigslist. I payed $45 for mine. It was hardly used. Not a scratch on it. The Create is also compatible with every PS and draw program out there.
This was my first project using my create. I used Gimp PS, (just because I like it better than Adobi Esentals) using the airbrush setting.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.